Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would like to buy a few plants from victri.net. did any of u guys allready oredered plants from him. no doubt that the plants look great and are worth the money. my only question is would they survive a few days in a closed box. im talking about tonina species, eriocaulon species and a few more intersetin things.
ill get the 2-3 days oreder, but from my expirience it wont get here for a week or so

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd opt for the speediest means of shipping. If you're ordering one plant, perhaps it is not worth the extra expense. But if you order several plants which you will later end up selling to your locals, then it is worth the extra to get air delivery. Vic is pretty good in my experience.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I looked at the victri.net site, and I can't see where he says he is selling. I did find a statement where he said he is interested in trading. Is he in the United States? He has some interesting and hard-to-get Eriocaulon and Tonina species.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, he has very unique plants , even other species that u cant c in his web site. send him email and he will give u prices etc. most of the plants are 10-15 $

·
Registered
288 Posts
The question is.. how does one bring in plants legally. It is for the buyer to be aware of the custom issues on their side.

As weird as it may seem, I think importing plants from the US to Canada does not require a permit.

Nursery stock and other regulated commodities imported from other countries require a permit. Nursery stock includes all kinds and species of living or dormant plants grown or used for ornamentation, propagation or cropping.

Nursery stock includes plants for ornamental or propagation purposes such as trees, shrubbery, climbing plants, stems and suckers, buds, scions, plants under glass, wild or indigenous plants, perennials, roots, bulbs (offset), tree and shrub seeds, etc.

However, it does not include flowers and vegetable seeds, field crop seeds, onion sets, garlic, mushroom spawn and seed potatoes and aquatic plants from the United States.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Robert Hudson said:
How does he get plants thru customs legally?
Long black trench coat, shady glasses, and a baseball cap. He walks to custom's guy hands him a couple of bills. :twisted:

*Just joking* :D

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
The main groups importing plants are the importers/wholesalers that USDA look for. Find the source of where the plant is coming from and put a stop to it.

They do not go after individual hobbyists(unless you are really bad:)

A Singapore wholesaler was shipping Hydrilla from SG into the USA to CA. I recently put a stop to that. Thjwe wholesaler here was very cool about and wanted to help keep the pest out. They were not fined or anythinbg like that. They were educated, we traced the shipment and discovered the source. They did not order the plant, they simply had it coming in with packing for livestock.

The USDA contacted the SG folks and now they will change things and add either foam, Ammo remover etc.

The internet is very difficult to police and inspect each package for possible contents. The USDA, CDFA etc are not looking to bust hobbyists nor will they, wholesalers are warned not to continue carrying "biopollution" and the wholesale folks wanting to ship things to the USA or to certain states will not be allowed if they continue to send pest. They notify them first, fine them second and thrid stage is simply no longer allowed to ship things into the USA or state.

The laws are there to prevent extremely costly damage from these pest.
Like Billions to trillions of dollars in crop, water conyenace to name a few things.

They are not there to make life for the aquarist tough. Our hobby is very small in this whole scheme of things. I've kept A rated weeds in the past, I also disposed of them properly.

Put them in the freezer in a bag for 24 hrs and then toss them into the trash. Pick things clean and kill the leftovers in bleach, H2O2 etc.

It's not the eclectic folks they are after or worried about, it's the neophyte that the collector gives the plant to or the LFS or Chain that unwittingly sells the plant to some pond person and the plant gets loose from there.
I've seen this several times here in documented cases.
Pond ands Goldfish people and folks dumping goldfish with E densa or Hydrilla are likely suspects. Many add some weeds to their local area so they can harvest every few weeks rather than pay for fresh cuttings each 3-6 weeks for their goldfish to eat and nibble on.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts