Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 gallon tank and a large Amazon Sword that is growing wide, I want to keep this plant.

Can I tie fishing line around the stems about 3" up from the bottom to make it more narrow and not so wide without any problems to the plant?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. I have done this in the past.

I used a plastic tie wrap but did not cut the excess since I was afraid the sharp edge will hurt the fish.

I have also used a rubber band as well.

In both cases, I had plants growing around the amazon sword to hide the rework.

I now let the plant open up and landscape around it.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Use shade tolerant plants (anubias, crypts, marsilea... ) around the sword. That way you can let the sword do it's thing without affecting light requirements of plants around it.

They are certainly large plants, but very much worth keeping IMO. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
Amazon's will grow huge. I think tying it up is a great idea, but eventually I think it'll find a way to spread out.

You can always trim it back. Wait until it has a few smaller leaves on it, and then start trimming the longer/taller leaves off. It'll continue to grow, and you'll be able to knock it back down in size.

I eventually just had to get rid of mine, far too big for 45g.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When the tall leaves on mine reach the surface i cut them off at the base. I do the same for any leaves that are shading my stems plants.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the Rosette or "Compact" Sword (Echinodorus parviflorus). They grow up to about 6 inches tall.
Very cool, thank you :yo:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amazon's will grow huge. I think tying it up is a great idea, but eventually I think it'll find a way to spread out.

You can always trim it back. Wait until it has a few smaller leaves on it, and then start trimming the longer/taller leaves off. It'll continue to grow, and you'll be able to knock it back down in size.

I eventually just had to get rid of mine, far too big for 45g.
I just tried tying it up and the fishing line just slides down the stems and doesn't stay, Sword stems are pretty sturdy and forceful.
I just made a spot for it :p

I have no more room for plants in my tank now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts