Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here but I've always read about low stable NO3 making red plants red and high PO4 keeping spot algae from growing on the glass. Has anyone maintained a NO3 value of <5mg/l and a PO4 value of 1.5-2.0 mg/l? This is way out of the 10:1 ratio which I've read about though. I want to make my red plants redder and at the same time try to remove the spot algae from my anubias and from the glass. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I’m asking because through my observation on my rotala rotundifolia, this plant turned really red at a very low to undetectable NO3 values (<5mg/l) the last I checked with my SERA NO3 tester. Then, the red colour diminishes as I add KNO3 to about 5mg/l. I noticed this from their growth tips. PO4 was maintained at 1.0mg/l. I’m using two 7500K 38W FL lights, one 6000K 30W and one 3000K 30W warm white just above my red plants to try and get them to look red in my 4 feet 220 litres tank. From this observation alone I can say that low NO3 do bring out the reds, but how low is low? My question is, how long can I maintain low NO3 (<5mg/l) before I actually start to stunt the plants?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.