Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
no, but it kept wanting me to update my flash player. so much so that I actually had to hard boot my computer.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not a popup. I have adblock installed so it wasn't something that could be blocked. It's probably chrome's built in sandbox function where if it detects potentially harmful stuff or unverified site credentials it'll stop you and ask if you want to continue to the site. Anyhow didn't get it just now so the ad servers may have already corrected the problem or if there are multiple ad companies it hasn't cycled through yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It happened again. When trying to come to APC, I had this warning from Chrome browser, today:

Phishing attack ahead

Attackers on openx.basebanner.com might try to trick you to steal your information (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

Back to safetyHide details
Google Safe Browsing recently detected phishing on openx.basebanner.com. Phishing sites pretend to be other websites to trick you.

If you understand the risks to your security, you may visit this infected site.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For me, it is happening when I try to come to the APC site. I open Chrome. I type the address in the address bar, aquaticplantcentral.com, and when I hit Enter, instead of being directed to APC, I get that warning from Chrome/Google, in a bright red page.

·
Administrator
362 Posts
I just scanned the homepage with virustotal.com and it came out clean. neilshieh, does the warning appear when you type in the address into the address bar?

KM

·
Registered
373 Posts
It isn't necessarily on the homepage. I remember reading about that service they provide, though I must admit it was ages ago.

From what little I remember, it basically works like this:

When there is malware on something anyone clicks, or as a pop-up, some browsers report that. Usually we, the users, give permission for such reports to be sent, when we agree to it. We may agree to it simply by agreeing to use the browser, or by not deselecting the option within settings. It will probably work differently, for different browsers.

Those reports are sent to "the powers that be" for that browser. Then a program checks to see what site they were on, and what they were doing. "What they were doing" refers to either clicking, or watching a vid, or nothing at all, etc.

When enough of those reports are received, either a specific limit is reached, or an amount within a rolling window of time, then users of the browser will be alerted about it, whenever they try to access the site, or page that has been registering the red flags.

I'm sure it is a lot more technical than that, but that's the jist of if.

·
Administrator
362 Posts
I am now getting malware warnings from Avast every time I open the APC forum.
Could you please post a screenshot of the warning and any other information that you think may be relevant? I will send it over tot eh tech team to look at. Also, what browser are you using?

As for the Chinese ads you see, it's an issue that Google has to fix.

~Km, community support

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
I will try to get a screen shot next time. I use Mozilla Firefox, but the warnings are posted by my security software from Avast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts