Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between M. quadrifolia and M. crenata? Will it do well in low ph/hardness? I am trying to get any info I can about these and cant seem to find much on the web.....

·
Registered
645 Posts
all i can say is quadrifolia is great for two reasons, #1 grows really easily and is attractive but a little skruffy looking, #2 you can actually tell people have have a gour leaf clover in your tank.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Both M. crenata and M.quadrifolia are very abaptable and easy to grow. The main difference is that M.quadrifolia (right) is larger as shown in the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a ten gallon dwarf cichlid tank with flourite substrate. This tank gets r/o water only. Do you think either one of these plants would do well in there? Also, are the any good online sources for these plants?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Either should be fine. I know of some source here in the UK but not sure about in the US, good look finding some.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I recently got a slew of it from Aqua Bid (Mnlop, I think).

Are there any tricks to keeping it down until it roots? I swear the stuff is filled with air. :roll:

·
Registered
426 Posts
You should cut the clump into pieces of rhizomes containing 1-2 leaves. Then with a pair of tweezers, bury them 1-1.5" below the substrate line, with only the top of the leaves showing. This not only will hold the plant in place but it will yield even coverage and promotes vigorous growth. Treat it like you would with Glossostigma elatinoides. :D

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Thanks Chris. :) I've always thought they were Red Wendtii, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you tell me if there is any problem with the mantaining of any of these plants (thesed Marsilea spp.) ever underwater (I'm sure they can't reach the surface in many of our aquariums) for long time?
Thank you. Maurici.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Hi Maurici,

These are supposed to be pretty undemanding plants once you have them established.
They are foreground plants which will form a carpet and don't get much taller than a few inches, so you wouldn't have to worry about them getting too tall for your tank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for your quickly answer JanS; still one more doubt, I've seen in the natural environment that M. strigosa and M. quadrifolia loose the leaves in summer (mediterranean climate with high summer drought), have you observed seasonality in your thank?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
You're welcome. :)

I'll have to let someone else answer your last question since I haven't had mine long enough to know if it goes through a seasonal cycle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts