Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Ok....

First - quality of lighting is more important than watts. Watts just equals how much power the lights are draining from your wallet :). 24w of T5HO with good reflector likely puts out MUCH more light than what you have currently. OR - a nice inexpensive solution (that i use on my 10G) is a AHSupply's 36w Compact fluorescent kit in a custom canopy. You might only need a better reflector to go with your current lights, OR you might need to scrap them and buy something else... Post details and pictures of your setup in the Lighting subforum - they'll give you good answers there.

Second - Flourish is more like an iron rich trace element supplement - it does NOT dose enough nitrogen, potassium, or phosphate (macros) to be used for more than the most low light of low light tanks. I DO use fluorish - but only as a trace element and iron supplement (micros.) For my macro's, I use a gram scale to measure dry fertilizer and mix with distilled water to make my own fertilizer. Google Rex Grigg. His website has lots of good information and he also sells CO2 and dry fertilizer. Additionally, you might want to read about Estimative Index dosing, or PPS-PRO, or PPS-CLassic here, in the fertilizer sub forum. Rememebr, dosing too little is just as bad a dosing too much...

Third - You will HATE using DIY CO2 on a 40G breeder after a few weeks, let alone a 10G. Spend the money, buy a used system in the for sale forum... just SPEND THE MONEY on pressurized. It's worth it.

Fourth - plant choice.... cabomba is tough to grow without high light, good fert dosing, and pressurized CO2, and even then, it'll still fall apart. Amazon swords are WAY too large a plant for a 10G. Spend some time on our plant sub forum and figure out some good plants to order that will fit your 10G. THe species recommended by the previous poster are all good low light, hardy, easy to grow plants. AND they can look really nice too!

Fifth - I'm not trying to be mean, but I think you need to do some more research in order to get the most out of this rewarding hobby.

Welcome to APC - be sure to browse the sub forums and read the stickies, and ask more questions.

· Registered
168 Posts
Robert,

I was only trying to demonstrate that watts aren't the best way of determining how 'bright' or 'how much light reaches the plants.' Examples are T5HO without reflectors and T5HO with good reflectors are usually very different even though the 'watts' are the same.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.