Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to remember or find any device to monitor/measure CO2 concentration. I know what it looks like but not what it's called....can't locate on web. Device is glass bubble with curved stem of some sort. It traps CO2 which I presume I can then measure periodically. Any help would be, well rather helpful!

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
article is a great read, but i wonder which drop checker is better. the double chamber or single chamber
They are both better.

·
Registered
635 Posts
better than nothing, of course, but out of the 2. which one is preferable over the other.
I have both in my main tank. They both work fine when used properly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not real happy with Green Leaf Aquarium folks. Purchase was received with one glass dropper and one bottle of the kH Standard, but no instructions, no chart, and no pH reagent. Apparently, after I received my order, their website changed to include all the items that I did not receive for $5.00 more. I can accept that they changed their site to now include the pH reagent solution (Brom.Blue stuff), but it's pretty cheap not to include the written instructions or the chart. Just poor customer service. I want to do business with people that appreciate my business and do the extra things to show me that. The little things that show that they want my future business. These folks failed in that reguard. I'm sure there are many who have had positive experiences, but I draw a negative on this one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since, I received no written instructions on how this device works, I need some help. First, how long is the solution good for before it has to be replaced. Do you fill it up and leave it for a week, a month, or 15 minutes?

I assume I fill the little glass ball approximately half full with the kH Standard solution and then add drops of the B-Blue reagent?

Also, since my kit did not include the pH Brom.Blue stuff, can I just substitute 3 drops of my pH test solution that came with my master test kit? If so, how many drops do I use?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Sorry you were not satisfied with your order.
We do appreciate everybody's business, and I think 99.9% of most folks can agree to this. Sorry we did not include free items with your order.
If you would like us to send you pH reagent free of shipping charges and free product we will be happy to do so. If that's what would make you happy.

In regards to your question above.
2-3 drops of Ph reagent is all it takes to get the 4dkh to turn blue.
Place in your tank opposite side from diffuser and your set.

Best Regards, Orlando

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry you were not satisfied with your order.
We do appreciate everybody's business, and I think 99.9% of most folks can agree to this. Sorry we did not include free items with your order.
If you would like us to send you pH reagent free of shipping charges and free product we will be happy to do so. If that's what would make you happy.
Your offer is appreciated, but no you don't need to ship them now. I really wasn't terribly upset about it. I always believe that if I am a tough customer, you'll be a better business. Accept it as constructive criticism. Still did not get an answer to two of the questions though.

How long can I leave it in the tank before I should "refresh" the solution?
Can I use my pH test kit or do I need to purchase the Brom.Blue reagent? Are they of the same concentration to give similar results?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Your ph test kit is bromo Blue, so it will work. About 2 drops will suffice.

Most folks will tell you you can go 2-4 weeks between changes. If you have high light you may find yourself changing more often.
There is no real time set in stone when to change the reagent. I have a tank that's been up with the same fluid for 6 weeks and still working fine.
Other tanks need more frequent changes.

Regards, Orlando

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Yes, that's the water for the DC. The bottle is enough to last about 2 months. You just add 2-3 drops of pH reagent to make a strong blue color.

The larger bottles are only in 2oz bottles from Cal Aqua labs. We currently do not have larger bottles at the moment.
Hopefully in a few weeks we will have 250-500ml bottles.

Regards, Orlando

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Not real happy with Green Leaf Aquarium folks. Purchase was received with one glass dropper and one bottle of the kH Standard, but no instructions, no chart, and no pH reagent. Apparently, after I received my order, their website changed to include all the items that I did not receive for $5.00 more. I can accept that they changed their site to now include the pH reagent solution (Brom.Blue stuff), but it's pretty cheap not to include the written instructions or the chart. Just poor customer service. I want to do business with people that appreciate my business and do the extra things to show me that. The little things that show that they want my future business. These folks failed in that reguard. I'm sure there are many who have had positive experiences, but I draw a negative on this one.
I have found that Orlando goes "above and beyond" with customer service. Did you contact him directly before you posted here? I can see you might be put out if he refused to correct the problem. No one is 100% perfect - mistakes are sometimes made.

From others, I have gotten 2 different drop checkers with "unreliable" instructions. Most say to use the water from your aquarium which is incorrect. I never had any drop checker come with the 4dkg water and I have purchased 4 of them. Seems to me that Green leaf offers full service. I do see the instructions on the web site. Maybe they weren't there when you got yours. (I do think they should be included with the drop checker.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
just got my DC from green leaf yesterday and glad i finally got one of these. turns out not enough co2 was in my water. i upped my bubble rate slowly and kept checking back every half hour or so until green. i think i atleast doubled my original bubble rate to get it green.

i have a question. once the DC turns green, does it ever go back to blue? i ask because my co2 is off at night, only on when lights are on. i got up this morning to check and see if it turned back to blue and it was still green. if it doesnt go back to blue then how can you ever tell if you dont have enough co2 in the water? along those lines, what if you put too much co2 in the water and it turns yellow and then you back off the co2 but the indicator never goes back down. could this be because the co2 that made it into the checker is stuck in there?

im trying to figure out exactly how this thing works. the directions show how to setup the DC but they didnt get across to me how the thing works.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent questions!!! I'm betting that it won't change back once the "chemical" reaction has taken place, and that you (we) would have to periodically put new solution / reagent in the checker. If you changed the solution once a week, you'd go through that little bottle pretty soon. It would be nice to be wrong about this one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm betting that it won't change back once the "chemical" reaction has taken place, and that you (we) would have to periodically put new solution / reagent in the checker.
No, and yes. I have two drop checkers. One is a plastic one from Red Sea (unfortunately one whose instructions tell you wrongly to use tank water) and another the double bulb Cal Aqua one which comes with two fluids (one the "right" colored one that the other you watch to get it to match).

The Red Sea one I use with 4dKH water I made myself and it works great. My CO2 goes on 2 hours before my lights do. When the lights first go on the DC is a medium green slightly edging towards blue. Within an hour and until the lights go off 8 hours later it's a nice lime-green, maybe leaning to slightly yellow. My CO2 goes off one hour before my lights do. I replace the 4dKH water and add 2 new drops of reagent in the Red Sea DC every week after my 50% water change (I pretty much follow a basic EI fert and dosing regime) as I have found a protein film occasionally forms over the hole and sometimes after a week or two it seems to not change color anymore.

The glass Cal Aqua one also works great. I have not changed either fliuds in this one since I got it almost 2 months ago. The color of the test bulb changes color throughout the day/night pretty much along with the way my Red Sea one does as described above: blue/green in the early morning before the lights go on, green leaning slightly towards blue once the lights do go on (again, CO2 went on 2 hours before this), and within an hour of lights on matches the "matching" color bulb until again the lights go off after 8 hours.

Why do I have both? Well, someone was selling a two-times-used Cal Aqua one for cheap with fluids and I grabbed it. I now use them both in my 72 gal, located in different parts of the aquarium, just to feel good about my CO2 being close to correct in different areas.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ok, so your color does change...can someone that has a single bulb DC chime in on how their color changes, if at all?
from what i understand, co2 will leave the water pretty quick of you stop the flow. if that is the case then the DC should turn dark blue just like it was originally when first added to the bulb. if the DC doesnt change back to blue then it doesnt really work like i expected and im going to be disappointed.

can anyone explain how it works?

i assume the co2 enters the DC and reacts with the fluid to change its color. what happens to the co2 gas at that time? does it break down into something else? what is the by product? how is it possible for the co2 or the by product to escape the DC? i dont see how it can. if it doesnt escape then how can the liquid change back to blue?

also, the directions dont say where to place the DC in your tank but i did read that you should place it on the opposite side of the tank from the diffuser. that is fine, but how far below the surface of the water should the DC be placed?

thanks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
ok, so your color does change...can someone that has a single bulb DC chime in on how their color changes, if at all?
Guess I should have been more clear. The Red Sea one is a single bulb. I have both a single bulb one and a double bulb one. They work on the same concept.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Excellent questions!!! I'm betting that it won't change back once the "chemical" reaction has taken place, and that you (we) would have to periodically put new solution / reagent in the checker. If you changed the solution once a week, you'd go through that little bottle pretty soon. It would be nice to be wrong about this one.
Yes the reagent will change colors daily from cylce on/off. In the morning it can be light blue, in a few hours it turns green when co2 is on.

Regards, Orlando

1 - 20 of 30 Posts