Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
just got my DC from green leaf yesterday and glad i finally got one of these. turns out not enough co2 was in my water. i upped my bubble rate slowly and kept checking back every half hour or so until green. i think i atleast doubled my original bubble rate to get it green.

i have a question. once the DC turns green, does it ever go back to blue? i ask because my co2 is off at night, only on when lights are on. i got up this morning to check and see if it turned back to blue and it was still green. if it doesnt go back to blue then how can you ever tell if you dont have enough co2 in the water? along those lines, what if you put too much co2 in the water and it turns yellow and then you back off the co2 but the indicator never goes back down. could this be because the co2 that made it into the checker is stuck in there?

im trying to figure out exactly how this thing works. the directions show how to setup the DC but they didnt get across to me how the thing works.

· Registered
395 Posts
ok, so your color does change...can someone that has a single bulb DC chime in on how their color changes, if at all?
from what i understand, co2 will leave the water pretty quick of you stop the flow. if that is the case then the DC should turn dark blue just like it was originally when first added to the bulb. if the DC doesnt change back to blue then it doesnt really work like i expected and im going to be disappointed.

can anyone explain how it works?

i assume the co2 enters the DC and reacts with the fluid to change its color. what happens to the co2 gas at that time? does it break down into something else? what is the by product? how is it possible for the co2 or the by product to escape the DC? i dont see how it can. if it doesnt escape then how can the liquid change back to blue?

also, the directions dont say where to place the DC in your tank but i did read that you should place it on the opposite side of the tank from the diffuser. that is fine, but how far below the surface of the water should the DC be placed?

thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.