Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so did a little tank maintenance today. I removed the Blyxa Auberti that was to the right of the cyperus helferi. There was too much of a visual clash between the two for my taste. I have added some Lamiaceae sp (Hemigraphis sp. 'Traian) to the area and some small blyxa japonica in front of it.

You can see the foreground is filling in nicely. Minsc requests that I add a midground to the tank in front of the stems. Looking at the pictures I'd agree with him. In person I enjoy the tank as is. We sha'll see. The water is a little cloudy as I had to uproot a few plants and the cyperus I added had a lot of AS attached to it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the advice of Minsc and added a midground. Added a wall of blyxa Japonica in front of the stems. The blyxa was leftover from a long ago plant order at the LFS and isn't in good shape. I believe it will make it ok. I also added 2 pairs of coral red pencils for some color. I forgot about my espei pencils in the tank. hopefully they get along. coral reds can be nasty.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I really like it. I think the blyxa will look good. You'll have to watch it as it tends to take over. Love the Elantine triandra. I've been looking for that for a while. I want to use it as a foreground in Celestial pearl danio 10g. It's had to find! Yours is filling in nicely!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like it. I think the blyxa will look good. You'll have to watch it as it tends to take over. Love the Elantine triandra. I've been looking for that for a while. I want to use it as a foreground in Celestial pearl danio 10g. It's had to find! Yours is filling in nicely!
Thank you Tex Gal. I think the Blyxa will look good once it grows in. I didn't post up a pic with it as it looks a little scrubby right now. Believe it or not, I'd not been fertilizing this tank at all since the rescape. I just started this week. I have a 150w MH on the for the tank as well. The Elantine Triandra is probably the easiest and most delightful foreground I've worked with. I bought a handful from ath3ist on PT. A little goes a long way. With the co2 and ferts going... It should be fully carpeted within 2 weeks.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Does Ying Yang on the title mean you scaped with the feng shui in mind?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't going to post an update so quick... as I'd just trimmed... but I had to post up the growth of the Elatine Triandra. I just starting fertilizing this tank for the first time in its current for... explosive growth. Of the high light foregrounds... this is by far the easiest I've dealt with. It still needs to thicken up in a few areas... Also... the rickety Blyxa Japonica is bouncing back nicely...

You may have noticed that the light fixtures on the tank are gone. 250 watts of MH now in place... yes it's absurd... I went to by another 150 w... but noticed that the 250 was on sale for almost the same amount as the 150 w. This may end in disaster... I need minsc to show me EI dosing Asap... the plants are going to suck the nutrient content in this tank dry.

Here's the blyxa border... the plants are small and were in bad shape. They are already looking MUCH better. Can't wait until it grows in.

So here's a retarded idea I'd like some input on. I have some left over llilaeopsis novae mini micro sword from planting my 5.5 g. I'm thinking about ditching the beach I was going to lay back down and add a very low field of AS and the micro sword. That may make the tank look too engineered. On the other hand... lilaeopsis novae mini is pretty rare and would be an easy way to cultivate it. What do you think?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol... thanks waterfaller... The front of the tank is supposed to be a beach... but i had to scoop it out because my taeniatus was dumping the AS over it when it was exposed. So the AS that's in the front is what has been dumped there... it's really thin and you can see the glass towards the front of the tank. I was waiting for the Elatine Triandra to fill in so he didn't have access to bare AS anymore. I'm pretty much there. So should I add back the beach? or should I plant a lawn in the front?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm glad to see another hex out there. I currently have a 55 g hex, that is 70s vintage(beveled glass and all. its been rebuilt) Aqua scaping has been a pita. Its only been up two weeks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Decided to do the lawn.

poured the AS Amazonia 1 through the water column with a cat litter scooper... really nice to control where the AS actually lands (was invaluable in scooping the sand/AS out before). I just changed the water last night so I won't change it again until next weekend.

Mister Sifter doing his thing already.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I like what you've done with this tanks, all variations (I've always had a fondness for jungle tanks). The current combination of Cyperus helferi, branchy wood, and rocks on the left is very eye catching and the Elatine triandra is a great contrast to it. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new plants fill in.

Does Mister Sifter uproot plants while rearranging the substrate? Or does he mostly leave them alone?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks Cs! Mister Sifter doesn't uproot the plants directly. He only messes with areas around or inbetween plants. The unfortunate thing with the microsword... is that some of the pieces are so small... they don't register with him as plants. He goes sifting and pulls up a mouthful of substrate... and the plants underneath float away.

I am having the strangest issue with this tank. The Cabomba Furcata is turning green and growing leggy. It never did that under PC lighting. It's under 250 watts of 10,000k Metal Halide now. I'm stumped. I have the same lamp and fixture in 150w formats over 2 other tanks... and they've only brought out super intense reds and more compact growth in plants in those tanks. I'm going to lower the light from 10" down a little lower after it cools down.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Love the wood. How did you anchor it? What kind is it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is Manzanita as well. It will sink after it's water logged. It's stuck in the rocks and the substrate.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It sounds very strange for the Cabomba furcata to lose color and grow leggy when it's sitting under so much light. . . . After looking at the PlantFinder (since I have no experience with that beautiful plant) I'm wondering if there could be a nutrient deficiency showing up now since I'm assuming everything's growing faster with the higher light and using up the nutrients more quickly. The Plantfinder says, "C. furcata will respond to nutrient deficiency with darkened leaves, substantially slowed growth, and elongated internodes." Sounds a lot like what you described, although I'm not sure what's meant by "darkened leaves".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts