Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've concluded that we need to have a meeting, and soon. As such, I would be willing to host one at my place on the 23rd, if anyone else is game.

I figure we can meet up at my place, swap stuff and squint at shrimp, and if we want, I know a couple of nearby collecting spots with a good selection of aquatic planty things for us to bring home and put in our tanks. :)

Anyone interested?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Thanks for hosting Amanda, this sounds perfect. I have also set up our August 20th meeting. I organized with Gregory J. Bugbee
at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station in New Haven, CT to give us an aquatic plant workshop on invasive species in Connecticut.

This meeting should prove informative and then we can take a collection and observation trip out to local areas in September and find the plants he talks about.

By the way I am interested in coming :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolness. I wonder if they'd like to hear my rants about Cabomba caroliniana. :p

Anyway, I guess we're on for the 23rd then. Gives me a chance to show off the changes to the fishroom :D I'm sure you'll all enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! If I can force my sister and Kristina to come, that brings us up to 5 :D

Anyone else?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm with my daughter on this date in the afternoon attending a kid's birthday swimming party so I'm no go :( Unless we can bump this on Sunday 24th?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd be interested in attending depending on location. can you tell me where abouts your located?I'm all the way up tolland county

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd be interested in attending depending on location. can you tell me where abouts your located?I'm all the way up tolland county
I'm in Fairfield (the county and city, LOL). It'd be a hike for you, but I promise lots of fun and the chance to meet a bunch of fellow plant nerds. XD And, if you like FW dwarf shrimp, it's definitely worth the trip to come see my collection :D

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes we meet at Michael's (Zapins) place in Hamden, maybe you'd like to come to one of those...still on the wrong side of Hartford, but about 40 mins. closer than Fairfield. :D And next month's meeting's in New Haven, which is in that area, too. XD

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I've been squinting at the forecast, and it looks like Saturday's going to be something of a scorcher, so I'm tempted to say we should go collecting later in the afternoon. Maybe we can all sit in my fishroom (which is cooler, since I have the AC on for the bee shrimp) for a couple hours and then see whether we can brave the heat.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Sounds good, I'll try be there. By the way, I may have to take down many of my tanks, so I might be getting rid of a lot of plants/fish and maybe equipment. Sooo start thinking about what livestock if any anyone wants.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd be happy to adopt any critter that makes more of itself. And any plants that don't strictly require CO2 injection. :D And definitely any inverts...

See ya this afternoon! I'm going to go move around some tanks and stuff, see if I can't free up a little more sitting room for us all :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I need a heater and a couple of timers if you are getting rid of those. What do you have in terms of livestock?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, we found a sweet new collecting spot with some neat stuff. Since it's just down the road, I'll probably head back there in the next few days. But attendance was low - just me, Michael, and Tonny, with occasional cameos from my crazy sisters, who mostly just hung out in the fishroom because the A/C was on in there. XD

·
Registered
7 Posts
asukawashere,

whereabouts in fairfield did you collect specimens? have you had any luck growing them in tanks?

we used to live in fairfield (we live in black rock now) and i'd love to poke around some puddles for local plants.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tend to go collecting around the Fairfield/Easton border, there are some nice little ponds in the area that yield a fair range of interesting specimens. :) That said, any ditch on the side of the road can yield a range of cool things to put in tanks.

As for growing them, the local L. palustris tends to grow nicely submerged, as do hornwort specimens and dwarf hairgrass. Local vals tend to be finicky, and I've had mixed luck with the Potamogetons. Marginal pond plants I've collected in the area do very well, on the other hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts