Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I'm already in Miami. I fly out March 29th. I will not offer my house to an open house due to the state of the tank (Art, you think your tank was bad... mine is 5x worse!). The wood work is extremely impressive though... I will work on it during the summer for an open house some time in September.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
OK.

Bob (bobo) has agreed to host the meeting. When can we all make it? I guess it has to be before March 29th as Carlos is going back to Chicago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1sy ever Meeting

OK Fellow Club Members, I'm hosting an open house for the first ever meeting of the South Florida Aquatic Plant Club on Saturday, March 27th at 1:00pm. This isn't written in stone however and if there's a more convienient time that day or if Sunday would be better - we can talk. After all, you guys are the ones that have to travel.

NATURALLY, my two display tanks are both broken down at this time for maintenance and complete re-do's featuring terraced landscaping and other improvements, but this may actually give us material for discussion.

Besides, I've still got several planted fry grow out tanks up and running, plus there's always my outdoor collection of Crypts, Anubias and other examples of "aquarium" plants being propogated under emergent conditions. What's new here underwater is Ludwigia inclinata and Ludwigia sp. "Cuba" a mini Eusteralis look alike.

We could do some plant trades too.

I've got inclinata now to spare two stems but the L. Cuba really needs some more time yet. I've got Elatine triandra and Eusteralis s. plus Bylxia, Lagarosiphon m., narrow leaf Java and Christmas moss galore.

Most of the old standbys like pearl grass, Hygro "sunset", hairgrass, glosso, dwarf sag, Ludwigia arcuata and Hydrothriche are here as well.

If everyone lists what they have extras of, it will make things easier.

Any suggestions?

Comments?

Bobo up in West Palm Beach

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mini-Eusteralis? Ludwigia sp Cuba should be reaching twice the size of the ratty Eusteralis. :D

Ludwigia sp Pantanal "#1" from Asia is a smaller form that looks more like large, flaming red Rotala wallichii. The Ludwigia sp Pantanal sent to me by hobbyists in Brazil is somewhere in between the former and the latter. Unfortunately the #1 died on me when I left for winter break in December.

My 55g "show tank" here at home needs A LOT of work and A LOT of plants due to a massive outbreak of cyanobacteria while I was gone for three months. I would be embarassed to bring anything from this tank. :oops:

I promise to have bountiful quantities of rare swords, crypts, and stem plants for my September open house to make up. :D

The time and date sound great.

Carlos

·
Registered
34 Posts
Meeting

Carlos wrote:
<<Mini-Eusteralis? Ludwigia sp Cuba should be reaching twice the size of the ratty Eusteralis.

Ludwigia sp Pantanal "#1" from Asia is a smaller form that looks more like large, flaming red Rotala wallichii. The Ludwigia sp Pantanal sent to me by hobbyists in Brazil is somewhere in between the former and the latter. >>

Wow! Twice the size? Some of my Eusteralis s. is a good 6 inches across underwater. Dang, I kinda liked the thought of it staying small like that.

Sounds like you're hooked up pretty good with the plant contacts there Carlos.

My "Cuba" came from Singapore (there's a strange thought) and only one stem survived. That shipment got beat up pretty bad. It floated a good month before putting out three shoots which I planted about three weeks ago. They are about six inches tall now and maybe two inches across.

My inclinata is just the regular kind shown in Teapot's picture book and on Amano's sites. Long, rounded off leaves, nice orange/red color with prominent venation. That "Pantanal" variety really looked fabulous in Cassleman's book-- much different than mine.

Carlos, you're welcome to anything I've got if you've a mind and no need to apologize about your tanks or lack of plants. We all know how that goes - especially if you have two residences. My main tanks, the 75 and 150 are down for re-do's just now myself, although I may have one display up and functioning by then in honor of the meeting. That is: if my terracing plan works out as I imagine. Maybe not...

BTW, as far as fish go: I've got excess Endler's and M. praecox should anyone want any. Have about 25 juvi's of the new Millennium Rainbow fish, M. pseudoincisis, the smaller, all red rainbow, but I'll only trade those for something good. :0)

See you guys Saturday and I'll e-mail a map, but it's pretty simple as I'm at the end of a cul de sac.

Bob Olesen
1590 Tamarack Way, Wellington Florida, 33414
(561) 793-4419

·
Registered
147 Posts
Guys,

I wish I could attend this meeting... but it totally slipped my mind I had a camping trip planned for this weekend with the family.

We are going up to Callo Costa... I will hopefully be able to collect some plants and driftwood.

I you guys know what to look for there let me know and I'll do some research to get to know the plants good enough to spot/collect them.

I hope you guys get to meet, and I'll be looking forward to the september meeting.

~Benicio

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
OK I'm in for Saturday.

Benicio, sorry you won't be able to join us. I need to find some other way to get the substrate to you.

As for plants, I'm in short supply at the moment (please refer to the great 58g challenge). Maybe for the September meeting.

Art

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was scrubbing my tank of cyanobacteria today. I'll be bringing in a nice looking Anubias barteri v barteri and an Anubias barteri v nana.

Sorry that you can't make it to the trip Benicio, but a camping trip sounds like lots of fun. I have little idea of what you may find other than the typical Bacopa monnieri and Ludwigia repens.

You may be able to find:

Bacopa caroliniana
Myriophyllum sp
Cabomba sp
Hydrocotyle sp
Micranthemum umbrosum

Anyone car pooling? :oops:

Carlos

·
Registered
147 Posts
Carlos, thanks for the list of plants... i will sure look for some specimens.

Art, let me know when you have the substrate and I can go pick it up. I work from home so I have a very relaxed schedule. Thanks again.

Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Art,

I live in West Kendall.

8305 SW 152nd Ave. Apt# 312

I live in an apartment complex called "The Atriums" just north of North Kendall Drive.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
OK, I need to be back by 5 pm. It will be a 2 hour jaunt up to you Bob. That means I need to pick Carlos up at 11 am, we get there at 1 pm and leave at 3 pm. Gives us 2 hours.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Guys... :cry: I'm sorry. I need to back out here at the last minute. My wife just got called up to New York for work and I'll be alone with the kids. My son's running a high fever with strep throat.

Sorry!

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problem guys, we can do it again some other time.

I'll let you know how the meeting goes anyway, give a full report of what happened and try to somehow find words to describe the breathtaking beauty of the host's legendary tanks. I wonder just who will win the door prize?

Art, I hope your son feels better soon.

best wishes,

bob

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Guys I feel terrible. I was really looking forward to finally seeing Bob's crypts. Oh well.

Carlos please let us know when you're back from Chicago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts