Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tank that was primarily Anubias nana petite. Was being the key word. For some reason the rhizomes seem to be rotting away. The tank is pretty hi tech, 4wpg, pfertz and pressurized co2. For the first 5 months things were growing great, but then this year the rhizomes keep rotting away/dying. The leaves on the rhizome will be alive, but the stem/rhizome area would melt. I really don't know what to do, there is still new growth etc, and just a little bit of GSA on some of the leaves. The plants are tied onto driftwood and not buried or anything like that. Could this be some sort of disease/fungus/mold?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
The only time I have had an Anubias melt on me was when I damaged the rhizome. Whenever you cut a rhizome, you must be sure to use a sharp blade and make a clean cut. Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for you, especially since you say nothing else that you know of has changed. I assume you know not to bury the rhizome.

At this point, my suggestion would be to remove all damaged tissue and return it to the tank and see what happens.

Perhaps something has changed in your water source?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
kkau1, I've seen a few of my petites rot in such a way that makes me think that it's a propagation technique.

What I mean by that is that it looked like only sections of the rhizome died, and that allowed the healthy rhizome to break away and float around.

If plants can send chemical signals to each other, maybe the plant density was too much and the plants consequently tried to spread out.

Just a (wild) guess though

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
...If plants can send chemical signals to each other, maybe the plant density was too much and the plants consequently tried to spread out.
This may be true with certain plants, but from personal experience, I have never seen it with Anubias - either the petites or the regular nana. My petites grow into a lush, thick bunch or sod, depending if it's attached to wood or on the substrate. Other than some gsa and the occasional dieing leaf, I have never had the rhizome rot on me. (knocks on wood :) )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts