Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Membership Drive

10K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  jaiko1975 
#1 ·
I think this deserves a separate thread:

We really need to try and pool members if anything will materialize in the future. As of right now, the club is very informal but we will try and have occassional meetings depending on head count.

I think we may need some support from those outside of our area and of Florida to garner more members. We need a concerted effort of flyers and emails to plant forums and mailing lists.

I think the threshold for a decent club size is around 10 members.

Can I have a head count as of right now on who will participate in this club?

Carlos

#4 ·
OK. I've emailed Kenneth Cheng to see if he is willing to make a flyer for us so that we can post it at our local fish stores.

Does anyone know what we should include on this flyer? I will provide images, but we will need a few details about who we are, what we want to be, etc.

I strongly encourage some sort of meeting to take place in December, which will certainly encourage more participation and interest. Besides, I won't be in Florida again until maybe mid-June (or even more, depending on what happens) since I will be going straight to Pisa, Italy from Chicago for a language intensive study abroad program.

Carlos

#6 ·
Um, I will be able to post, talk, read, write, whatever in Italian. Unlike my French, I'll be able to practice my Italian with family members. :)

Folks, I really need some input on the information that should be included in out first flyer. Who are we, what are we, etc. Kenneth has agreed to do the favor of creatng a snappy flyer for us.

Carlos

#9 ·
I will like to participate in the club. I'm in the process of moving to Sarasota, FL. but will be going to miami most weekends as alot of my family and freinds are there. And it's only a 3 hour drive.

Regards,
Alex

#10 ·
Ken has agreed to do this for us.

HOWEVER:

Folks, I really need some input on the information that should be included in out first flyer. Who are we, what are we, etc. Kenneth has agreed to do the favor of creatng a snappy flyer for us.

I'll donate some photography, but I really need to hear word from all of those interested.

Carlos

#12 ·
Include some of the benefits of joining.
i.e.
Locals willing to give advice
If it wasn't for help from other plant hobbyist. I would have given up a long time ago.
Locals to Buy, Sell, trade with
Buying equipment in greater volume = more savings for members.
[/list]

#15 ·
Since I am not currently in the Florida area, it has been very difficult to organize and take the initiative on this nascent club. Is anyone else willing to push this club along?

We need to do a handful of things:

1) advertise to the best LFSes in town that we exist with flyers, talking to them, etc.
2) begin having meetings, perhaps at a general meeting place (such as a Barnes and Noble or what not)
3) attract new members
4) convert lots of members of the local, overly large reef club to planted tanks :)

Carlos

#16 ·
OK Tsunami, I'll step up.
Before I go arranging and printing flyers, how about we start with a meeting and see if we can get even 4 people together, sort of a core group to share some ideas for expansion.

If you concur, one of us could post a new thread in all the relavant forums advertising a meeting, (I recommend you do this since you are far better known in these forums). Heck, I will even host the thing at my place if necessary. If we time it right we could even speaker phone call you in Italy for moral support.

As for timing: I have some minor surgery scheduled for Friday (Jan 28), and will probably be laid up for most of the weekend. Saturday Jan 29 I expect to be... medicated beyond social acceptability, and if we did a meeting on Sunday (Jan 30) I could only attend if it was actually at my condo here on the beach. So its either Sunday Jan 30 or wait until the next weekend (Feb 5-6).

As for advertising and getting some LFS' involved: I have only one LFS that seems worthwhile so far, but I have only checked out 4 shops.

In any case, give me a shout, check your PM, and lets make this happen.
Grazie,
Jack

#18 ·
Jack (Osteomata) is taking care of things so that we can have a meeting by March. I've already sent him some materials for him to start a flyer!

By the showing on this thread, we should be able a small meeting some time in March. There will be plant trading, fish trading, etc.

Carlos

#20 ·
DVAGA is in the same boat trying to enlist members. Here's something I figured out quickly. A good place to pickup members is local aquarium clubs. The people attending these meetings are already interested enough to go to meetings. There's usually a small number of them making forays into planted tanks. They are looking for information and plants which can not generally be provided by some of the old time fish only members. Some of the clubs have "Home Tank" shows. Ask your existing members to join the clubs and enter the contest to draw attention to your club.

Erin

#23 ·
Willing to host meetings once I return in June

Hi everyone,

I had been corresponding with Art Giacosa about the club. I'm moving back to Miami in early June, and I have expressed interest, when I've settled a bit, in offering my home as a place for meetings, if you'd like. Just don't dump beer into the tanks please! :rolleyes:

I live in West Kendall. Let me know if there are any future meetings in the works. How did the last meeting go? You can contact me via PM or through this thread.

Warmest regards, hopefully there are still people reading this thread.

llj:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.