Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup my 215 with 2 x 250W 10K MH fixtures. It's planted with
mostly low maint plants, but its fairly bright in there. It's been up
and running for about a month now - there's one thing that has
caught my attention - I've NEVER grown Anubias this fast or well
before. I'm getting a new leaf per plant every 7-9 days and no
algae! Infact, algae that was on the older leaves has dissolved
away. Talking with Luis and Jeff Senske - both have noticed that
Anubias really thrive under metal halide lighting.
Finally I can grow Anubias well!!!!!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
G-
See my old 90 gal from nthe mid 1990's, it had an entire wall of Anubias, ferms and Java fern under 2x175w.

Folks gave me a hard time when I said they grew fast(no one believed me) and many still don't. I have no issues trimming them like stem plants.

Incindentally, I saw a 9 year old plant in a small incad lighted tank the other day, it grows a leaf every 1-2 years:). Not a lick of algae.

Anubias in higher light tanks make very useful scaping scenes also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried to grow them in my 4w/g (PC) tank but there they grow
only in the shade - if I put them out in the open they get green spot
algae on their leaves.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I really wouldn't jump out and say that MH lighting has anything to do with your current success with Anubias.

In the 20g long scape from this year, the Anubias nana were growing directly under nearly 4 wpg. They had no spot algae. They did at one point, but it dissolved after I increased PO4 to 2 ppm. Growth was incredibly fast, and the plants continuously flowered (hint, these plants really like high light and rich conditions!). Tony (Gomer) saw similar observations in his 29g high light tank (he also had a very healthy, thriving colony of Anubias nana under high light). His PO4 levels were similar to mine.

Carlos

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I do not know what the disadvantages are, I suppose very very high there might be some, I still do not know what that range is. It's high enough to not worry much and hit a targeted level easily.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts