Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: Method of controlled imbalances and gda...

Okay...let me try to understand this concept in simpler term.

1) Dose only KNO3 until you only get GDA. This will be the amount of KNO3 for weekly dosing.
2) To get rid of GDA, manually remove it.

Do you go back to dosing KH2P04 and CSM+B after this? I'm using the EI method.

So after a major trimming, you'll have to cut back on KNO3 to find the optimum again or else you'll get GDA. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you'll have to constantly monitor your levels.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Thank you Gdevil and Christian for responding to my questions.

Your Fertilizing approach answered my question.

The MCI is a method of algae control and fertilizing.

Algae control approach:

1) Remove the GDA.
2) 50% water change
3) stopt fertilizing at all
4) Check your Co2, it should be at the maximum tolerated. PH/KH charts are useless. The best is to see how your shrims behaves. Increase slowly the amount of Co2. If they try to escape there is "real" 35 ppm of Co2. Then, you tune it a little less, use a filter or whatever to get away the Co2 from you water. If you have an electronic kit (Milwakee or similar) its much easier.
5) Add Kno3, 1 gram every 50 gallons per day during 1 week.
6) Day 7 50% water change

If after 1 week you didn't reach GSA, continue another 7 days but add 2 grams of kno3 every 50 gallons.

Fertilizing approach:

The amount of kno3 you used to reach GSA is the real consumption of your aquarium. This is amount you should use per week of Kno3.

GDA is related to a complex imbalance that involves Ca and Po4. So, don't worry about CSM+B.
You should add less Ca and Po4. Try adding 1/3 of the dozing you was using.

About Po4, I think that you should add it only if it is necesary. If you reach GSA the I suggest you add 0.1 ppm and see what hapend next week. If you reach it again you add 0.2 ppm and so on until you find the real consumption of your aquarium.

Once you know the real consumption of your aquarium you reach a balance. You don't need to constantly monitor your levels. You should just take a look if you have or not some GSA just before the water change.

·
Registered
149 Posts

My 40gal contains: large amunt of anubias and java fern, dwarf sag, hornwort, frogbit, crypts, hygro polysperma and angustifolia.

I haven't get to the state of green spot algae yet. I have been adding 1/2 tsp of KNO3 for almost a week with nothing else. String algae doesn't seem to be dying or turning grey. This weekend I'll up another 1/4 tsp to see what happens.

According the Chuck's calculator.

KNO3
1 gram = 0.18 tsp
1/8 tsp = 0.7 gram
1/4 tsp = 1.4 gram

KH2PO4
1 gram = 0.21 tsp
1/8 tsp = 0.6 gram
1/4 tsp = 1.2 gram

About Po4, I think that you should add it only if it is necesary. If you reach GSA the I suggest you add 0.1 ppm and see what hapend next week. If you reach it again you add 0.2 ppm and so on until you find the real consumption of your aquarium.
Anyone know the conversion to teaspoon for this?

·
Registered
149 Posts

Ok, make the 50% water change. Continue adding Kno3 but double until you reach GSA.

About Po4, you should prepare a solution, chuck's calculator has this option.
Regards
Will do :thumbsup:

I have a 20h tank about to be setup. Lighting will be 48w T5HO. Do you recommend MCI protocol for non Co2 and shrimp tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.