Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Re: Maracyn/gda experiment...

Very interesting article Dr Pez.
I was unable to get the translation when the text got to the info on the Philips PLL-840s.
Do you know what I should do so that I can read it?

EDIT: Never mind. I re-did it and was able to get it. A lot is lost in translation.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

I read it and have a few questions about it that may be translation issues more than anything. Just cant do it right now.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Christian_rubilar, I hope you see this post.

I have read the info on the link you provided and I found it not only interesting but I share many of the same ideas as you. However, I do have some questions so that I can be sure I am understanding you correctly.

I need a translation for the following words as these did not translate:
- Coadyudantes
- Tapizantes
- Acuarismo ( I think it means the aquarium hobby)
- Sales (this seemed to be used in a couple/few different ways)
- GAP - green algae point or what you mean by point
- Siguientres

I do realize you want use to dose KNO3 to a point a which green spot algae is the only one left. Is this correct? What then?
In the beginning of your article you say "....seen throughout this work does not recommend the use of potassium sulphate....". However, a few pages in to the article you say "With regard to potassium, all indicate that this has an important role in halting the progression of sevral types of algae". and "....one could argue in principle that the use of potassium in the .....is one of the key variables, or to avoid an explosion of algae or to control them. Potassium is an alkali earth metal and this could be why EI dosing works (for most) as there is so much K2SO4 that the algae cant survive as little is consumed by the plants and a 50% water change will not flush out enough to prevent the levels from continuing to rise over time.

I really want to try your suggestions but it would be helpful to have a better guide, or is it as simple as dosing KNO3 at 1 gram per 200 liters three events per week. This equates only ~3 ppm per event.

Lastly, when talking about the amount of light per liter are you simply taking the given tank size or the volume of water actually subjected to the light. For instance, I have a 75 gallon tank BUT this is when measured on the outside. Once it has substrate and decorations in it the actual water is about 60 gals that has light on it. Several gallons are in the substrate and do not recieve light and the glass is 1/2 inch thick, etc.

Thanks, Newt

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to all of my questions.

I will continue increasing my KNO3 until only GSA is present (dont have much of this at all).
My GDA is slowly disappearing since removing my new TEK 4x54w lighting (for sale btw) and bumping up my CO2 a tad and allowing my PO4 to drop below 1ppm. I should not add any PO4, correct? or should I keep it around 0.5ppm?

So you are saying the amount of potassium in the KNO3 should be adequate for the tank?

I still stay with my idea that potassium which is not really consumed by the plants, certainly not like phosphate and nitrate, build up in the water column to toxic levels for algae. I believe the potassium is used by the plants more as an essential role in water status within the plant and turgor pressure of its cells. Also K is involved in the accumulation and translocation of newly formed carbohydrates.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Well, I increased my KNO3 dosing and now have 15 to 20ppm. I also have brazilian pennywort growing on the surface. Awhile ago I removed my TEK 4x54w HO fixture which really made the GDA grow. I am keeping the PO4 to 0.5ppm.

I am happy to report that the algae is already disappearing, slowly but steadily.:D

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Re: Method of controlled imbalances and gda...

Thanks again for your help.
It does appear to be working.
The T5HO 4 x 54w was too much along with the GroLux Std and WS. I've gone back to an Aquarelle, ADV850 and AGA 8000K. I've got a DYI in mind for a 4 X T8 fixture. I already have the miro4 reflector and the ballast.
As for now KNO3 and a daily tad (3 ml) of PO4 (liquid mix per Seachem strength) as my tank consumes it quickly and I dont want to run out.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

I downloaded Sorin's book but itsin Spanish and is a pdf.
Is there a way to use the google translator?:-k

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Me too!

Thanks so much for such an easy method and all the time you took to explain things.

My plants look so much healthier.:D

=D>

:bump2:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Until GSA is reached not GDA. This will eliminate GDA then you do the same with phosphate dosing for dealing with the GSA.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Christian,
I have VERY soft water where I am and add a GH booster that contains 4 parts Ca, 1 part Mg and a trace of (1/40th) Mn and also add alkaline booster by Seachem to raise KH.
What do you recommend as an appropriate ratio for the Ca, Mg and Mn?
Is my Mg content enough?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Algae came back. What did I do wrong? I think I am too lazy for this method of algae control. I have to actually think. :yield:
What I did when I reached the point where the GDA was disappearing was to take a nitrate reading. It was ~20ppm (double of what I was keeping my tank at. I now keep my tank at 20ppm NO3 and I only have a little left on some Crypt and Java fern leaves

I'm working on the PO4 level to combat the GSA.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

I have no idea what the percentage is of calcium and magnesium in my 11 Gdh water. Is there anyway to make an educated guess as to how much magnesium I could add to counter act the possible calcium imbalance? I haven' t really checked to see if there are any freshwater magnesium test kits for a reasonable price. I live in Leesburg Virginia, 40 miles west of Washington DC for any expert familiar with this area. My tap water comes from the Potomac River, no I don't have three eyes yet.
Call your local water department or board of health. You could alos ask a company that does water treatment for any manufacturing facilities in your town.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

You dose KNO3 until you only have Green Spot algae. When I did this I kept my PO4 to 0.05ppm and have stopped dosing Potassium Sulphate as KNO3 has potassium in it. My potassium is now running between 10 and 15 ppm using a LaMotte test kit.

Once you have only GSA you dose KH2PO4 until that disappears.

The idea of this is to find the right amounts/balance of ferts so you dont have to overdose and do big water changes as with EI. Its is more of a type of PPS dosing IMO - at least thats how I'm approaching it.

The GSA I got on the front and side glass was very small compared to the GSA on the back of the tank. I cant belive the difference in the appearance of my plants.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

He's away on vacation for a week or two.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Hi Christian,

Hope all is well.
I recently set up a 10 gal shrimp tank and have some thread algae (long thin green strands).
How do I get rid of this?
Do I use the KNO3 protocol? It doesnt seem to work - but I dont want to push the NO3 too high because of thge shrimp. I am using Flourish excel in place of CO2.
Regards, Newt

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

Thanks for the response. I was in Aruba and the site was way slow using my netbook and wireless so I didnt bother to look.
I've been doing some reading on thread algae and some places says it is from excess nutrients and others say high iron. I am limiting PO4 and Fe to see if I can starve it as well as excel treatments. I have to pick up another regulator to do CO2. Wish I didnt sell my 5# tank now.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

OK I have CO2 set up on the tank now.
I have a 10 gallon shrimp tank with 36watts 6500K CF lighting. Lights on 9 hours a day and CO2 is currently on 12 hours a day. Drop checker on the way.

Plants are Hemianthus callitrichodies, Blyxa japonica, flame moss, peacock moss, dwarf hairgrass, Fissidens fontanus and Subwassertang.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/journals/65457-newt-newt-jr-s-shrimp-tank.html

I have thread and now hair algae. I have been manually removing the algae and only adding KNO3.
I have about 10ppm NO3.

How should I tackle this?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts

I'm having a very hard time following this thread - at one point I'm reading that we add NO3 until we get GDA (GDA appears), at another point I'm reading we add NO3 until GDA disappears.

I'm maintaining about 10ppm in the water column (Lamotte) on a fairly continual basis, with good lighting (3x175W HQI over a 6' 125) with good CO2 (pH controlled and excellent pearling on the Riccia).

But GDA is really starting to frustrate me (again).

Is anyone using this successfully on APD to eliminate GDA?

I've never bought into the "lifecycle" theory...
I think you need to re-read the KNO3 protocol to eradicate GDA. You dose KNO3 until you get GSA which is the only algae that can survive high NO3 levels. Typically PO4 levels are kept around 0.25ppm or what your tank develops on its own. Your tank also needs to have high light and CO2 for this protocol to work. It does work well. Once you reach GSA you treat with the PO4 protocol.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.