Aquatic Plant Forum banner

441 - 460 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I have discarded this method. Bought test and results was >50ppm no3 and 0 po4 after 3 weeks adding olny kno3 and no Po4 because I had BGA, and never got GSA

From MCI: "Cyanobacteria (BGA) is related to an imbalance between NO3 and PO4. Always means that there is too much PO4, it can also happen because there isn’t enough NO3."

Nice, nice....

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
"Bought tests..."

Very nice.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have a Walstad style 36 g bowfront , Finnex Planted + light. Aquarium is heavily planted. No ammonia, no nitrites. I have a horrible hair algae infestation. Peroxide just isn't working. Will this method work for me? I dose the standard Excel dose. No CO2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Is a water change needed?
Treat with excel. Feed fish less.
Is there a nutrient limited?
Manually remove the algae.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I change 20% of water every couple of weeks. Can't up the Excel as I have shrimp. Can't manually remove as its completely attached to plants. Can only remove leaves. Very low bioload just tetras and corys. Lightly fed twice a day.
I have no idea if nutrients are limited. It's a dirted aquarium. I'm trying the KNO3 protocol. We'll see if it works. I'm on day 4. No change yet. Getting very frustrated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #447 ·
If you follow just some parts of the recommendations, it won't work out. The water changes are very important. You mentiones that you only change 20% from time to time. Here is your first issue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did a 50% change at the start of the protocol and I will do another at Day 7. I will do more frequent changes from here on out. I didn't decrease light. I don't do CO2, but will continue with Excel at standard dose. Thanks! Will report back.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Week 3 - no change. 3rd 50% water change. I'm up to 3g/50gal kno3. Should I keep going or is this proof this protocol doesn't work on hair algae in a dirted tank with Excel only? (My nitrates are reading between 20 and 40 using API test kit.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I change 20% of water every couple of weeks. Can't up the Excel as I have shrimp. Can't manually remove as its completely attached to plants. Can only remove leaves. Very low bioload just tetras and corys. Lightly fed twice a day.
I have no idea if nutrients are limited. It's a dirted aquarium. I'm trying the KNO3 protocol. We'll see if it works. I'm on day 4. No change yet. Getting very frustrated.

Are you sure its not BBA. Hair algae is easily removed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's long thread-like strings. I'll post a pic when I get home from work just to be sure.
You know, maybe I have 2 algae problems. This stuff won't come off, but it is strings at least 4 in long in some places. It's all bright green.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Thread algae - maybe
String Algae (Thread) > Excess nutrients > Water Change + get biofilter working (from RexGrigg.com)

I'll look at my Baench ref book later. I remember a picture like the first one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok.. may be making some progress. Hair algae is seeming to not be anywhere near as rampant. Seeing some small GSA on glass. I am a little confused as to what my weekly maintenance dose of KNO3 should be. It's day 18.

Edit: I think I understand now after rereading this thread. The weekly dose should be 21 g/50 gal. Right?

Edit 2: Or, since it's day 4 of week 3, would it be 12g per week?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think this is not a very popular method on this forum. I tried almost a dozen common methods right now including MCI and this one failed the hardest for me.

First off I had problems finding the exact amount of each nutrient. When to stop, are 3 spots of GSA ok, or do I continue till absolutely nothing is visible. Second, a month later the uptake of every nutrient changed. First of all due to the fact that plant mass doubled. Second because plants can buffer certain nutrients as does my substrate (aqua soil). So it's quite Hard to get constant results. So I never used it and I know very little people on this forum who do, so expect very little response except from Christian himself perhaps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hmmm, I see. I have to admit I was attracted to it because it seemed like an easy way to deal with hair algae. It's working so far, but who knows it might just be the more frequent and larger water changes.
I stopped titrating the nitrate when I was certain what I was seeing was GSA.
Still not sure if this will work long term with a Walstad aquarium. Anyway, I'll continue posting here. Maybe Christian will answer!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried this method and been using it for awhile right now.. it works... it took me awhile to get hang of it but at the end worked..
What I found in all these years is that as important CO2 is so it's O2.. good bacteria requires O2 to be able to convert nutrients.. let your spray bar splash and agitate surface.. you will not loose that much of CO2.. and it will make world of difference... plants can't produce enough O2 to compensate for injected CO2.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

441 - 460 of 475 Posts