Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my delima... I currently have a 45G tall that I put some plants in over a year ago now. The plants "grow" but they always look a little shabby. About this time last year, I started using the yeast method for dosing CO2. The plants look better, but they're all tall and spindly looking.

My current lighting is a 65W PC. It's only 24" long and the tank is 36" long, but all my plants are on the 24" side that the light does cover.

I have an old 175W MH that used to be on a 30 gallon reef tank. I was considering replacing the24" with a custom hood containing only the 175W MH.

Current fish load is 5 platys, 2 guormis, 4-6 neon tetras (those things are hard to count), 1 medium pleco (that is close to be needing to be traded back to the LFS), 3-4 small sucker fish, 3-5 RCS, 2 blue snails, Bunch of little crappy snails that I send down the sink as often as I can catch them.

Filtration is 1 HOB canister filter with just foam in it and a prefilter to keep the shrimp out.

Weekly 10% WC occur when remembered.

This tank is a play tank for me to work on and figure things out before setting up a 200 gallon next year after the wifey and I buy our new house... (I hope). The 200G will have 3 MH... wattage not decided yet.

This could be a fert issue and not a lighting issue, but I'm still learning what to look for to tell what my plants need... Anyone have a good site with pictures of different deficiencies?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. Now you know why I'm looking at different lighting :)

A 45 Tall is 24"Hx36"Lx12"W... I think.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Deep (high) tanks are harder to light....and to scape.
I have a 72 bowfront which is very deep to light, and to scape, and to stick your arm in without getting your rolled up shirtsleeve wet. (CF 55x4=220 watts)
My 20g long is a delight in that respect. Plants grow well with no CO2 and layout is so much easier. (one 55w CF)

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I know all about the wet shirt sleeve already... I've gotten to the point where I just take the shirt off before I even get started.

So, can anyone think of any issues I might run into if I put 175W over a 45?

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
All the usual issues: overheating, electric bill etc...

175 might be a bit strong on that kind of tank. Perhaps a 150w would be better. Metal halides tend to throw out more light than PC bulbs so watch out. It also depends on the type of metal halide. The HQI double ended type seem to focus the light more by having smaller reflectors that point the light straight down rather than mogul base MH lights with their huge reflectors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll knock together a quick hood and give it a go. I'll report back with what happens.

Plus... a full hood will keep the cat from drinking the tank water.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
One of my cats insists on drinking from a Q tank I have set up near the floor....guess he likes fish-flavored water.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Hi niget2002,
I have a 45 tall as well, my plants do very well with an AH Supply 96 watt "Bright Light" kit. I did a DIY enclosure. A link to a picture of my 45 tall is part of my signature. Hope this helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts