Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides keeping a Ducth planted tank I wanted to try Iwagumi.

tank: 65 liters. 65x35x40. water height is 33 cm's. Selfmade out of wood with a 4 mm front window.
Lighting: 4 x t8 18 watt (makes a total of 72 watt's on 65 liters :cool:) 2x 4000K 2 x 6500K
Soil: black gravel 1-3 mm.

The tank is filled last friday. The plants are coming in saturday.
There is a bunch of Riccia and some Microsorum in it to make the start easier (I think) and to fill it up for a couple of days.

Saturday comes HC and a some Blyxa japonica's.

Here's a picture of it so far. What do you feel about the hardscape??
Pictures are made with my mobile phone. therefor the q is very low.
I also have a photo of the light cover I made myself ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mike,

Your scape looks very nice and so is the rock layout. Simple and clean.

You have enough light, however, you could benefit more if you can add some reflectors to the light setup.

Excellent work.

regards,
Ravi

·
Registered
251 Posts
I like the simple look of the rock layout. It works well. Once everything grows out its going to look even better

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure I like the large stone on the right hand side. It really draws the eye and may distract from an overall view. It's hard to say though without the plants in because they could soften it up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're right it is placed in a spot that you would use for a focus point. I think the thing that pops out to me is how pointy/jagged it looks. To me the rest of the scape looks "soft" and then your focus is this "sharp" piece that for my tastes just doesn't go well. Don't let my opinion stop you from doing what you want though.

I'm not sure I would do the sand solely because it could be hard to keep everything out of it and holding the line. I've never tried putting a "stream" in a scape before though so I don't know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, it's subjective. :)

Do YOU like it? If not, then it's time to play around with it.
I think Iwagumi is cool, but I also am unable to notice much variation from one to another. I would personally get bored with an Iwagumi tank, but I realize it really appeals to some. Face it, there is only so much variation with a few rocks and one or two species of (the usual) plants.

If I had to critique, I'd say the symmetry of having 3 rocks on each side is something I'd change. It seems too purposeful....artificial. But again, that's just me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
looks good to me. I like the changes you made to the right hand side hardscape. Are you worried at all about the plants in the back(I suck at plant names) over taking the hardscape?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts