Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the Solenoid went out on my SMS122 and I'm thinking, "Darn, sure have read a lot about these failing... time for a new one." Tried plugging it into the wall several times to hear a familiar "click", but alas - nothing. So I called Milwaukee and ordered a new one (For about $40).

[four days pass... yawn...]

When it came, I pulled the old solenoid off and there was water (???) in the solenoid mechanism and it was a little gunky (_very_very_minor_ corrosion). I then plugged the old solenoid into the wall... and it went "click"!

I'm thinking wth...???

Then it occurs to me: The solenoid is within 1/2" of the bubble counter. There must have been water in the bc - and I must have let the CO2 tank empty completely!

On an empty tank, water/gas will move backwards through the regulator plumbing as the room temp changes/cools - and most check valves (mine at least) is on the "far-end" of the regulator/bc.

A little cleaning and the old solenoid is as good as new (and now I have a spare if it really does fail).

Hope this saves someone $40.

- Jeff

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't you have a Check Valve in line. Is the water working it's way back down the CO2 tube to the tank? I don't think it's a good idea to get water in your regulator.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at the design
(not the best picture)...

As you can see, you put water in the BC - there is no option for a check-valve between the regulator and the BC. I do have a check-valve between the regulator+BC+Solenoid and the tank.... Anyway, at the rate I'm putting CO2 in my tank (bubble stream), I'll put a BC external to it from now on... and not use the one on the regulator.

·
Registered
252 Posts
First, I think there is a check valve at the bottom of the bubble counter....but let's assume that it fails. With a good reliable check valve in the tubing from the bubble counter and the tank (reactor or whatever), water could not move backwards in the system....would that not be correct (thinking in print here).

But anyway, I think your idea of moving the bubble counter external might be prudent.

I have a new Dennerle check valve (not installed yet). The diagram that came with its instructions show the check valve between the regulator/solenoid/needle valve assembly and the external bubble counter. So water can not move back as far as the good stuff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There will be a little bit of backflow anyway as the pressure in the BC is less than that of the tank... not much, but I guess it was enough.

·
Registered
252 Posts
There will be a little bit of backflow anyway as the pressure in the BC is less than that of the tank... not much, but I guess it was enough.
I'm not sure I agree with this. If you have a functioning check valve in the line, say even at the very end, then if your system doesn't have a leak (ie air tight), nothing should be able to move backward in the system. The check valve will close. It's like putting your finger over the end of your straw and then lifting the straw out of your drink....the fluid doesn't move.

If, I'm not viewing this correctly, please explain it to me. If, I'm right, then then only logical explaination is that the JBJ bubble count check valve failed (assuming we are right about it having one).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, not sure what the failure was - but there _was_ water (moist) in the solenoid...

·
Registered
47 Posts
that is interesting, and i know there is a checkvalve in the jbj bubble counter. Water shouldn't move back when a check valve is inplace, but i have mine connected with a aquamedia reducing t on the out take of my filter with the check valve about 8 inches away from the reducing t. Water does move back ever so slightly in the co2 tubing, but only like an inch or two at most. Don't know what to think about this. I have (setting up this week)a dual manifold system with 2 jbj bubble counters. I would not want that to happen as i run 2 burkert solenoids and don't want a failure or to replace them.

Stevie D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts