Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Hoping for a little help. I have read and talked to so many people at times I find myself more confused,so hopefully someone can help me out . I have a 50 g freshwater with a penguin 300 and 200 watt heater Being new to this I set it up about 5 months ago with your typical plastic and colored rock. Now that I have started reading and really getting into this I need to move on. I want to go to a more natural look with plants I replaced the substrate to natural pea gravel and sand.(and yes most of you will cringe I left in the UGF) I used 35 lbs of gravel and 15 lbs of sand. (about 4"S Now my ph and nitrite shot real high (is this normal. used same water and kept my bio wheels wet)
I have ordered a hood and co2 I don't want to plant to heavy (starting small then going big) and since I left the UGF should I use power heads or ditch it all,? should I keep the hang on filter or go canister ? any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Hello and welcome to APC :)

One reason a under gravel filter is not recommended for a planted tank is if you use the correct size (2-3mm) gravel it will fall through the holes of the filter restricting water flow. Another reason is the roots of the plants will get entangled around it, making it very difficult to remove the plants in the future.

Since you will be using C02 I would recommend a canister filter over a HOB. With a HOB you will get surface agitation causing C02 loss.

In the beginning it is always best to start out with a heavily planted tank that contains a lot of fast growers. This will help to consume nutrients that the algae also feed on, making it harder for algae to get a foot hold.
What type of hood are you getting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

I believe its a aquatic with 2-65w. Any insite on why water shot sky high, I am doing 20% changes in it daily

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Aquatic brand light fixture, but the 130 watts will give you a good selection of plants to work with. Sticking with plants that require low to medium lighting will do well.

I'm not sure what caused your N02/PH to rise, it may that your tank is going through a mini cycle. It had to be something to do with the changes you made. Have you tested the ammonia levels?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, at least once every day, just check, every thing seams to be mellowing out.
cant wait to get those plants in!!!

Rob

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Rob... Go ahead and get those plants (after you get the light fixture), they will not be bothered by the high levels and will only help matters. Cram as many fast growers in there as you can in the beginning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts