Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After mineralizing the substrate over three months ago, finally :whoo: I jumped into it today to switch out the UGF and go for the mineralized substrate.
  1. Started in the morning around 9 AM, moved the fishes to a 20 Long holding tank along with all the plants (let all of them float while I get the rest ready).
  2. Cleaned the tank and started preparing the substrate by mixing it with water and clay to a thick runny paste form.
  3. Worked on setting up the Manzanita wood setup. This was the one that took me the most time by trying different combinations.
  4. Set the Manzanita wood and wrapped some branches with Java Moss. That's all I had, Need to get some more for the other branches.
  5. Created an aesthetic border with 3M Colorquartz Grade T Black substrate in the form of two Us combined (UU), just to give a separation in the middle without plants.
  6. Sprinkled the dolomite and muriate of potash (thanks Aaron).
  7. Poured the substrate and topped it with the colorquartz gravel with an incline sloping up towards the back.
  8. Filled the tank with about 2 inches of water and started planting. The plants I used are, Hygro Corymbosa (thanks Aaron), Cabomba (thanks Rod - my neighbor), Variegated Hygro Difformis (thanks Drinda), Limnophila aromatica/Ammannia gracilis (thanks Cliff), Blyxa Japonica (thanks Ryan), Java Fern, Amazon sword, Egeria Densa, Vallisneria Americana (I think), Glossostigma Elatinoides, Anubias Hastifolia, Crypt Green Wendtii and one more plant that I don't remember the name. Someone please respond with the name when I post the pictures tomorrow (it's the one with lots of oxygen bubbles).
  9. Added the lava rocks (thanks to Steven Leeds - awesome rocks).
  10. Filled the tank with water.
  11. Assembled the new Eheim 2213 and let it run overnight. Boy! Do they need to learn how to write user manuals. ;)
  12. Placed a stocking full of gravel from the previous tank for transfering the beneficial bacteria.
  13. I plan on adding the fish tomorrow. Thoughts, suggestions on this please!
  14. Finally done.:whoo:
  15. Some more plants to be added tomorrow. Ludwigia Repens (thanks Cliff).
So far so good. Took me all day and things went quite well and as planned.

My sincere thanks to Aaron, Cliff, Steven, Drinda, Ryan, ingg and Niko (for advice on the lights).

Niko: Unfortunately, I was not able to build the lights by myself, however, I got the twin Hagen GLO T5 HO lighting system with two Giesemann Lamps (one midday and one Aqua Flora).

You know what, this post is testament to everyone in this forum. I got into this hobby by accident by getting a tank (just for fish) for my daughter this June along with plastic plants. The curious George in me wanted to make the environment better for the fish by adding live plants. I added some live plants even though I had a UGF. Then I found this forum and the rest is history.

Thanks to each and every one of you. :hail:

:peace:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Decided to post the pictures right away. Couldn't wait :cool::

Before tearing down the tank

Manzanita Wood and the 3M Colorquartz Aesthetic Border

Front View

After Planting

Left Front View

Right Front

Left End View

Right End View

Plant ID Help Please

Plant ID Help Please

Please post the names of the plants from the last two pictures. :hail:

Thank you very much for your support and comments.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Fantastic!!;)

You might want to add flourish excel weekly to boost the growth.

I wonder if making it a RUGF would be better. For sometimes roots stop up UGF systems.

What is that plant in the back, left side, with long leaves? I love it!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for your comments, Sunstar and dawntwister.

Sunstar: I did get some good sand-blasted pieces. I ordered them from Manzanita Burlworks. Someone from this forum recommended it.

Dawntwister: With the mineralized substrate, there's no need for fertilization except for Potassium after 3 or 4 months based on the article unless the goal is to boost growth. I will post my observation as it develops. With the UGF, I pulled it out completely and the only filtration is Eheim 2213. I'm planning on adding the Eheim Aquaball Powerhead for circulation and breaking up the CO2 bubbles. The plant in he far-left corner is the Amazon Sword. I had one plant in my 20-g Long NPT and grew to about 7 plants in 3 months. I pulled all of them out and replanted in this tank.

Thank you again for all your comments.

Have a wonderful and a safe Holiday Season.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
Adding the fish right away shouldn't be a problem. Just don't overdo it.

·
Registered
930 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, Kim. I'm planning on using DIY Co2 generator with the powerhead to break up the bubbles. Thank you for the links.

Are you talking about the plant with the thin long leaves? It's Hygrophila Corymbosa. Yes, it's not supposed to look like that. This is due to the lack of nutrients for this plant in a UGF environment. It grew very slow in the same tank prior to conversion. Hopefully it will grow better in the new environment. :cool:

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Nice DW. I share your excitement! The mineralized soil really seems like a wonderful way to go. Someone over at TPT is making it in their house and selling it for others that don't have the time an energy to do it. I've been tempted.

Your entire tank just about sounds like a testament to our hobbyists here and the For Sale Forum. I just love that! :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Sunstar,

Here's the Mineralized Soil Substrate article posted by Aaron T. Considering that you live North of us, you might not get a chance to do it outside for the next few months. ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I might try it in a small scale indoors :p I have small small tanks anyway.

for dolomite, I use my calcium and magnisum suppliment tabs powdered. hehee This could be fun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Disaster stuck!

We were out for 3 days over Christmas and was shocked to see that the tank only had a third of the water it had and the filter was not working. Stumped, tried to find where the water went and still can't find it out. The floor is wooden and has no sign of water leakage. The basement has no sign of water damage/leakage also. :confused: Any clues, folks?

When I did check the pipes, the valve from the Eheim 2213 was leaking water. Still surprised that there was no sign of water dripping in the stand or the floor.

At least, the one-third of the water had sustained the 3 ottos and the shrimps. The plants that remained submerged were OK. Will have to remove the brances and the leaves that have dried up. I'll post the pictures this afternoon once I start the resuscitation of the tank. ;)

Any suggestions and help along the way is most welcome.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I removed the outflow valve from the filter and refilled the tank with water. Everything works well so far.

I also added all the fish to the tank and moved the HOB filter to transfer the beneficial bacteria. It's been a week since the tank has been restored. However, I had to trim the plants that had dried off and had to replace the Java moss with Willow moss as I did not have any. Here's the picture of the updated tank.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely true, Drinda. But for that, I'm so glad. Can't even imagine what would have happened to the wood floors with water for two days!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:confused:

Folks, I'm confused. I moved 3 Rosy Barbs and 10 Harlequin Rasboras to my NPT to put in 3 additional Amano Shrimp (had 3 already), 4 Rummy Nose Tetras and 2 Black Veil Angels (quarter size) to go along with 3 True SAEs, 8 Otos and a few Red Cherry Shrimps. I added the fish two days ago. This morning one of the Rummy Nose Tetras died and one of the angels was highly inactive. The angel was not eating and stayed in the corner for the past two days. This evening it was lying flat on one of the plants. I took the fish out and put it in a bucket with some stress relief solution.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? I added DIY CO2 two days ago also. Would this be a reason? CO2 is being fed at about a bubble every 2 seconds.

Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:confused:

Folks, I'm confused. I moved 3 Rosy Barbs and 10 Harlequin Rasboras to my NPT to put in 3 additional Amano Shrimp (had 3 already), 4 Rummy Nose Tetras and 2 Black Veil Angels (quarter size) to go along with 3 True SAEs, 8 Otos and a few Red Cherry Shrimps. I added the fish two days ago. This morning one of the Rummy Nose Tetras died and one of the angels was highly inactive. The angel was not eating and stayed in the corner for the past two days. This evening it was lying flat on one of the plants. I took the fish out and put it in a bucket with some stress relief solution.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? I added DIY CO2 two days ago also. Would this be a reason? CO2 is being fed at about a bubble every 2 seconds. Anything else I should try to save the angel?

Thank you for your feedback.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts