Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was think after reading the posts here. Anyone ever go out in Minnesota and collect plants? Not sure if there is anything that would survive up here and then do well in a tropical planted tank but figured why not ask. Guess I'll have to look when things get warmer in the spring/summer when I'm out canoing and fishing.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I have not been to Minnesota, but I have done collecting in northern and central Wisconsin, and there are a lot of potential aquarium plants there. You never know until you try the plant. There are dwarfed plants in the soft water lakes that might be interesting additions to the aquarium. I am thinking of plants like Lobelia dortmania.Eriocaulon septangulare and Myriophyllum tenellum. Also, any Potamogeton that does not produce floating leaves would be well worth trying.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am sure there are some decent plants in your area.
If you wanted to travel a bit, there are some Echinodorus berteroi in a county in Wisconsin, so you could have some hand picked sword plants if you wanted to travel a bit.
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/maps.asp?spCode=ECHBER
I would do some searching of the USDA database to get an idea of what is available in your state. Its at:
http://plants.usda.gov/index.html

Regards,
Steve Pituch

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mike,

Go to the MN DNR web page and look for the publication "A Guide to Aquatic Plants". DNR will mail it to you for free - they want us to read the included info on exotic plants and critters. The book has sections for algae, submerged plants, floating leaf plants, and emergent plants. Real handy guide.

Paul and Steve are quite right that we have numerous Potamogeton. Some other plants listed include Elodea, various najas, native and non native watermilfoil, and Ceretophylum demersum. Several of the plants can be found in Kasselman and other aquarium plant books. Also commonly found is Valisneria americana.

Regards,
Jay Reeves

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is scary Jay. I found that site before reading the post. I visit the DNR site a lot to check out the lake finder and take a look at the BWCA lakes and see what the reports say.

I did find the link on the info they have and will order one. Figure this summer I'm going camping and canoing often as I can and now I can grab some plants. Kill two birds with one stone and have fun while doing it.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts