Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two sets of tiny mistery creatures now...

One is the tank where I was holding the cherry shrimp, which just has some plants (and has done for a few months).
They are at most 2-3mm long, roundish, many whitish but some a bit darker. They often swim with broad circular motions. These look like daphnia to me. Could they have hitched a ride on something, do you think? This tank isopen-top and kept in a greenhouse and has some mosquito larvae (which I collect from the gouramies).
Any other creature they could be?

And today I noticed in the main tank, floating a few cm above the eleocharis what looks like tiny white worms. Some are so small they could be anything, but I saw a couple bigger and they were definitely worm-like. The tank has no water movement as such still. They'r not on the substrate, just writhing som 5-8 cm above it.
The two gouramies seem to have little interest in commercial food yet I see the female pooing often, so I gather they must be finding something else to it. Could these be it.

Any idea what they could be?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The round critters could be a species of ostracod, and the white worms could be one or more of a few aquatic worms. They usually are found when the organics are really high. Without some really good close up pics it'd be impossible for an identification, but they don't sound harmful. If the swimmers are ostracods they won't make a very pleasing meal, but the fish will eat them if they're hungry enough. Some sps can cause problems, some are a non-issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I haven't had much time for this... (work, life... :/ ) but I think ostracods could be the round ones - they're not really jerky, more like an irregular spirals and such. No population explosion, though, so I'm just letting them be for the time being.
The worms didn't look at all like Planaria, from what I could see on the web. But I can't seem any more, and they were so tiny they would have been a pain to photograph properly.

But I've learn a lot about unconventional aquarium creatures :)
I'll definitely try to keep an eye open in the future for this.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts