Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that you cant mix macro & micro together in their concentrated state, but how much water is needed to keep them from reacting to one another? Since its recommended to does just before the lights come on I was thinking of using an Aquaclear 20 I have hanging around as a make shift dosing pump since Im normally at work when my lights kick on. Basically I'd have the aquaclear on a timer to be on a little before lights are on and turn off later with the lights. I would then dose the filter at night for the next days use. I would be dosing 5ml of each a day, so would that work without creating a disaster?

·
Registered
84 Posts
as long as the aquaclear basically "selfprimes" and will start the water flow each day without someone having to be there to get it flowing again I don't see a problem with the chemistry side of this. without media inserts, you've got a good few cups of water in there, yeah?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always have dosed mine before leaving work which happens to be 5 hours before lights on...is this a problem?
I know some people get tired of hearing this name over and over, but I asked Tom Barr this same question. I leave for work at 8am and my lights click on at 3pm so I can view the tank til 11-12pm and his response basically indicated that through his testing he's never seen a noticable difference in the "time" you dose, since (if you're using EI) you're providing more than the plants will use anyway, so there should always be SOME of the ferts in the tank, so you're merely adding to that and the plants will use it in the same way no matter when you dose. The only caveat I can think of to this would be an iron suppliment, as from what I hear that particular fert is gone from the water column pretty quickly, but I've also heard that plants can uptake this even prior to lights on anyway, so you'd probably be safe regardless.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Okay..makes sense with the EI explanation you gave. I am wondering if the same would hold true for PPS as that is what method I use. I might need to post over there. If so...let me know

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The AC is pretty much self priming & definitely a couple of cups, water wise. Unfortunately before I could experiment I ran into a problem, the little AC wouldnt fit on my 55, I dont know if my rim is larger than normal or what, but i just woundnt sit on there. I may try to find another small pump that will fit so I can experiment.

Supersmirky, Im in the same boat as you, I dose before work, about 4 hours before the lights come on. Lately Iv been dosing an extra 1ml, so Im doing 6ml on my 55. Growth has been good so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts