Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I jsut got soe CSM+b and 10% Fe chelated form Greg Watson. MIxing the CSM was easy but I also wanted to either add some more Fe or mix a seperate batch. Unfortunately, my chemistry/math skills are limited so I am unsure how to mix the 10%Fe chelate. Can anybody help?

Dennis

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sorry, I looked on Gegs site but did not see that:) So according to Seachem, Flourish Fe is 1%Fe, how do I calculate how much I add per liter of aquarium water, in ppm?

In my high light 10 gallon, I dose 3ml Flourish and 2ml Flourish Fe 3x week. The Fertilator tells me my dosing is this(based on Fe): Flourish=4.66ppm Fe, Flourish Fe=.62ppm. Does this seem right?

According to the Fertilator, to get this 5.28ppm Fe I need to add 2.6g of CSM+B. 1tbl of CSM+B is 14.7grams. If I mix 1tbl CSM+B in 500ml H2O, I need to add 17.5 ml.

This seems wrong as the % of elements in CSM+B is MUCH higher than in Flourish. Seems like I would need less CSM+B rather than the 25% moe as is often suggested in comparing CSM+B with Flourish.

Man, I am confused now. I assume my math is completely screwed up. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, thats easy:) Duh, ppm=mg/l So CSM+B is 7%Fe so that would mean 1g of CSM+B in 1liter is .7ppm?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, if I want to add 1ppm to 40liters(10gallons) I do this math..
1.429/100=.01429
.01429*40=.57g

my stock solution of CSM+B is 14.7g in 500ml. So....
14.7/500=.294 (grams of CSM+B per ml of solution)
.57g/.294= 1.9
S0, 1.9ml of the solution would give me 1.0mg/l
Fe in 40liter aquarium

Fertilator says I currently add 5.2mg/l Fe, so...
1.9*5.2=9.88ml of my CSM+B stock solution to equal the Fe in Flourish/Fl. Fe

Of course, all this math makes me realize I seem to be adding alot of Fe to this tank. Remember this is 3x week so I am adding 15.6mg/l Fe weekly to this tank! I slowly built my dosing up starting at 1ml Flourish 3x week and over about 2 months I upped it to where I am now. The plants are growing nicely and I did notice a difference between 1ml and 2ml, all other params. stayed the same when I was doing this.

Anyway, sorry if I seems so math illiterate and thanks for checking over my calculations:) Maybe this will help someone else also.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, another math dummy question:)

If Floursih has .32%fe then what does 1ml of Flourish give, in say 1liter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
dennis said:
If Floursih has .32%fe then what does 1ml of Flourish give, in say 1liter?
0.32 % by definition is 0.32 g/100 mL.

0.32 g/100 mL = 320 mg/ 100 mL = 3.2 mg/ mL.

So each mL of Flourish contains 3.2 mg. Add it to 1 L and you will have 3.2 mg/L.

The only dummy questions are those that are not asked.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks jart:) Welcome to APC!

So, 1ml Flourish adds 3.2mg/l Fe. If I add 1ml to 40l(~10gallons)...
3.2/40=.08 mg/l (Fe in 40 liters)

I dose 3ml so...
.08*3=.24mg/l (Fe in 40l)

The fertilator says adding 3ml of Flourish to 40l gives me 4.41mg/l Fe per dose.

Where did I go wrong?

·
Registered
37 Posts
True the fertilator says adding 3 mL FLOURISH to 40 L gives you 4.41 ppm.

It says that adding 3 mL FLOURISH IRON to the same volume gives you 0.88 ppm.

I can't make sense of this, given that Flourish Iron is more concentrated in terms of iron. I am new to the fertilator though. And Dennis I appreciate the welcome.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anybody check my math in my last post? It is based on Flourish containing .32% Fe. Sorry, math is not my friend usually:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
dennis said:
So, 1ml Flourish adds 3.2mg/l Fe.
Sorry for the late reply. Your math looks good, except for semantics:
1 mL Flourish adds 3.2 mg, not 3.2 mg/L.

As I previously pointed out, the fact that Flourish Iron seems to yield less iron content than Flourish may mean there is a bug in the system. Sorry I can't help more than this Dennis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts