Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I mix different species of shrimps? Will there be aggression or territory issues? How many shrimp can I put in a 5 gallon planted tank? Thank you. I just bought 3 black diamond shrimp (I think they're also known as bee shrimp?) and got a "bonus" tiny ghost shrimp that jumped into the net and the lfs gave me for free rather than try and get it out of the net.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Some shrimp species will interbreed. If you plan on selling shrimp you don't want this to happen. Here is a chart that tells which species do & don't... http://www.planetinverts.com/Will These Shrimp Interbreed.html

Most species of shrimp will exist in peace together, I've not had any problems with the ones I've kept together. Different species have different care & enviorment needs so check into that before keeping different species together.

Just make sure that ghost shrimp is a true ghost shrimp & not some long arm shrimp which will catch & eat other fish & shrimp.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A ghost shrimp will be fine with your adults but will (or at least possibly can) eat babies if your adult bee shrimp have babies. As for capacity, I had a 10 gallon tank that was easily supporting a red cherry shrimp colony that numbered 100+ adults and at least an equal number of shrimplets and juveniles, so I would think a 5 gallon (presuming the tank was well-aged) could hold 50-100 shrimp without much problem.

As for compatibility, the key thing you want to avoid is interbreeding/hybridization. In general, the best way to be sure you are safe and to avoid that, especially as a beginner, is to have no more than one Caridina and one Neocaridina species in the same tank. Bee shrimp are a Caridina species, so that means you could safely add one Neocaridina to your tank without worries.

Among the most popular Neocaridina shrimps are the...

• Red Cherry Shrimp
  • Yellow Shrimp
  • Snowball Shrimp
  • Blue Pearl Shrimp
All four of those are relatively easily enough found, especially if you check auction listings on Aquabid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts