Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Complete newb here. Just had a few questions.

1. What is a good foreground plant to use for a grassy pasture effect? Or just a good foreground plant.

2. I bought a light fixture from Lowes and I am currently using the bulbs that came with it. What is the difference between those 30W bulbs and lights sold at retail pet stores? Aside from the pricing.

3. How does one measure the amount of CO2 and trace elements present in the aquarium?

Any advice, pointers are welcomed and greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you are new just focus on growing plants for a little while. I lost a lot of money on plants when I first started out by having them die. Most fore ground plants are a little demanding too. To answer you question dwarf hair grass will give you the effect you want. You may use any fixture you want but the bulbs need to be the right spectrum most use between a 6700k-1000k. Some people do get theirs from the hardware store. Co2 is measured by a ph/kh chart, drop checker, or those who are a little more eccentric use ph meter. As for the trace elements most dose an appropriate level and let it be.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
930 Posts
What is the difference between those 30W bulbs and lights sold at retail pet stores?

It is the photons which give the plants color spectrums to grow. Through a long discussion, at another forum, learned that plants can grow under any light. How they grow will differ though, as the trees that have orange leaves in the fall. The addition of ferts helps the plants to grow better. You may want to change the bulbs to bulbs labeled daylight.

Most important nutrients are N(nitrates) K(potassium) P(phosphates).
1 part phosphorus to 10 parts nitrates to 20 parts potassium. As long as a usable (5-10ppm) level of Nitrate is maintained, the the plants will continue to use up the available phosphate, effectively controls BBA and other phosphorus-dependant algaes. Phosphates come from fish food and sometimes in the water.
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algae.htm

Dry ferts, which are cheaper and last longer than the liquid ferts, can be bought at this site.
www.aquariumfertilizers.com

Just be very careful in choosing plants. Check out the plant finder at the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts