Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone says its not a true aquatic, I know. And I don't want it for underwater purposes. But I do have a purpose for it. Which will be obvious once my "betta have fun" betta tank, yes I realise its a very corny thread ttl, is finished. Excuse the lime green colours, it will change, this I promise!

I want to create a biotype, which I mentioned in an earlier thread. But I don't think I have the time/$$$ to go hunting down all the exact plants I would need so I may use sort of "proxies" in the place of more specific plants.

I am wondering if Mondo grass would be found in an area which bettas could be found. I had a lovely mondo grass plant this summer, growing emerged, but due to hydra and mishandling of the plant, I wiped it out. woe is me, it was so pretty! But, I have an idea which might work this time around.

While I am at it, are willows of any sort found in betta areas?" I have a willow in my plans as well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some plants that would be close to what they might be found in...

blyxa spp, hygrophila corymbosa, pogostemon helferi, cyperus helferi

Also, stagnant slow moving, shallow water.
I am using 3.5 - 4 gallon tank without filter and relying upon waterchanges as soon as I feel the water needs it.

I would like the blyxa and the helferi especially the postostemon.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as I said they'd be proxies until I could get more accurate plants. Not all bettas are found in rice paddies, they are also found in streams. Basically, I am aiming for a biotope or at least a close enough approximation as the Betta splendens is not exactly found in the wild as they are in common petstores. Unless I wish to get a wild fish or bred from a wild fish, my "biotope" will not be fully accurate anyway.

So I am aiming to get a close approximation to the sort of environment that such a fish would be found in.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've looked at pics and they seem to be in red streams. lots of leaves, tannins and apparently a red clay.

I've seen pics where they are in areas with huge elephant ear plants. that would be a little too large for my tank, methinks.

I've been trying to decide what my tank will represent and I think it would be a somewhat like a cul de sac in a slightly faster stream. I don't quite know the correct term for what I am thinking. I might aim to change the rock colour and make it more grey-brown. Providing I can get some colours. I am not sure how much I can buy and how much it'll cost. I might only beable to get one tint and the cement.

I think I might want some of that pogostemon helferi for my main tank.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pointers. I did save a number of pics of betta habitats to my disk. Unfortunately my whole "biotpe" went to pot due to the fact I am using a number of locally collected terrestrial mosses for the top area of this tank. And some other plant which likely will die back. I'd like a bit of bamboo I think...I should drift down to the local greenhouses...hmmmm

This is how it looks unfinished. I do have mondo grass in it now, so this pic is "out of date" Anyway, i guess my attempt is to make it look like something a betta comes from.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rice might be cool, I don't think I have the room. The mondo grass has done relatively well for me with its roots submerged until I killed it by taking it out (it dried out)

As for a spade tail.... All I can say is keep looking or look for online betta breeders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.