Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
IME, salt water/reef have np dumping cash into thier tanks, but fresh water hobbyist won't pay a dime.

I build alot of stuff for the local reef community, no one questions my prices.

Just recently I had a guy that wanted me to give him a price on a custom sump for his fresh water tank. He was floored when I told him it would be $1000, for the diamentions he wanted. Of corse I got the "why so much?" question. I tried to explain to him that there was $800 in just arcylite gp( 2x 1/2" sheets) he just could not wrap his head around that price. I've built 10-15 that size in the last 5 ish years, for reefers and had zero complaints about price or quality.

oh well.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
having had both, a reef takes actually alot less time/work then a planted tank.

Part of that is the "toys", part is the growth rate diffrence. Plants grow so much faster.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think its going to take some one that not only has great sense of Aesthetics as well as a techincal background.

As was mentioned in this thread, most of the reefers are some type of geek/nerd. We are into gadgets and high tech stuff.

Kits don't intrest all but the most basic of aquarists. I've yet to find one that suited my needs unless it was for something like a Q tank. even then I ended up adding/subtracting a bunch of stuff too it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would think a booklet of some kind would be better. you know something like 20 pages or so, that could be given out/ low cost. would do much more then would offering kits.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yes, but it reminds me of an appliance I had once. It has a sticker on the top that read, "Really now? Have you read the instructions?!"
In college I was working at "toy'r'us" over the winter break. All I did was put things toegther. Anyways there was this one play house that came with these plastic rivits, that once they went in, they didn't come back out. got tons of them back. Anyways, on the 1st page of the instructions it said:

"now that you have tried and failed to asymbel your XXXXXXX play house, Thank you for reading the instructions"

:rolleyes:

Its like the old saying, "whats the diffrence between a wise man and a idiot? the wise man reads the insturctions"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.