Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I honestly do not know how much of my time I have spent trying to understand different "methods" of running a tank.

Do we figure our internet connection fees into the cost of running our tanks?

I chased my tail all over the web trying to understand why I need lily pipes before I bought them. Would it have been better if I admitted that I just wanted them because I wanted my tank to look like Amano's? I could have just copied his placement of the pipes and not known anything about why they are placed that way. I would have had the same results.

I just read this:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/dallas-ft-worth-aquatic-plant-club/79609-subzero-proven-method-starting-running-planted.html

I have a demanding job. I have a young family. I have many hobbies that keep me fit and active. I have a love of planted tanks. I have some resources. In reality, I don't have time for this stuff - this research, these experiments. I am beyond caring about why and just want to know how. That is actually all I ever wanted. I am willing to pay for the how. I have paid for the why with my precious time. Time spent researching the why, time spent on these forums. Time spent skimming through egos and camps and clever posts that seem determined to outwit the last poster or defend one's methods rather than answer the original question.

I have also lost money and time trying to be cheap.

In the next days, I am going to buy a new tank. I am going to buy the tank that I can afford. Not the tank that I want. I will run this tank as a system and I will not buy a system bigger than I can afford. The system I will employ stresses how you achieve a beautiful planted tank, not why it all works. I will not suffer the details, I will buy the parts and put them together. Again, I don't care why. I just want to know how to make it happen without having to take college level bio classes.

This is not some parting from the forums post. I love you peeps, I love your passion and I know that when something goes wrong, I will need the help of the people who know WHY. Plus, I am obsessed and want to help. But I just don't have time for the EI, PPS, subzero, try to figure out how everyone who buys ADA ferts are suckers B.S.

I want it easy, If I have to pay for easy that is fine. Life must go on.

Regards

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hiring someone, Nope. I'm just going to use the ada stuff. All of it. Mostly all of it. There seems to be a system that works. ADA. Many won't buy it because they think they are being taken advantage of. Snake oil and stuff. We love to play the victim here.

If I lived in DFW and ADG wold come scape my humble 60p for an additional $200 with the purchase of the ada system, I would pay it. Not worrying about sourcing plants that are quality and free from algae, no paypal blah, blahs and shipping all over the web, seems worth it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I guess what I ignore is that I have paid my dues. I have researched, learned and practiced enough to be able to run a tank a few different ways. Through this practice, I have learned what to look out for and do a good job over 90% of the time.

I keep on these forums because I want to know more and I am always looking for something better. It sounds like people are saying that there is nothing better and you can't just throw money at the problem.

For now I am going to bow out of this discussion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.