Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through all of the Affinis posts, and know they like hard water, but what KH and GH works the best? My tap is:pH 6.4, KH none, GH 10ppm. Since I will have to treat my water anyway, might as well have a goal to shoot for.

Should I treat water with Seachem EQ or mix my own with MgSO4, CaCl2, & NaHCO3?

The aquarium I am setting up is 40 long, mineralized substrate ala SCMurphy/AaronT, 2 T8s @ 32W, and 1L DIY Co2, powerheads with intake on opposite side of tank to simulate river flow. What is the best way to propagate these crypts the quickest, emersed or submersed? I plan on filling up the tank up halfway (20Gal submersed) at most to grow some mosses and java ferns, with dripwall on back by a spraybar.

And last question...:blah: Do they flower better submersed or emersed? Lots of Q's, but this is my favorite crypt! I have been bitten by the bug bad, and can finally do something about it!

Any chance in helll that C.Bullosa can be kept with C.Affinis in hard water?:fish:

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Ummm...if you find C. bullosa it should be fine. :)

Your water sounds hard enough. You can add a little extra dolomite to the substrate to provide more calcium and magnesium.

Crypts like really good water circulation and don't like to be moved around a lot. Give them both of these and they'll take off for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AaronT! I am tempted to harden my water just a little at least since I plan on running a bit of Co2, I guess actually finding C.bullosa is still a pipe dream...

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Probably the easiest way to add a little hardness is to put a small bag of crushed coral in the filter. It's a nice set-it-and-forget-it approach. The changes it makes are slow enough that water changes and such won't fluctuate the water parameters much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts