Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share some of my recent progress in the way of flowers with everybody:

Limnophila sp. 'Vietnam'
Buds:

Bloom:

Side View:

Staurogyne sp. 'Bihar'
The whole plant:

Flower:

and Fruit!

(tried to use the backlighting to candle the pod, so we can see a bit of what's inside...)

Will post more as things continue to bloom. :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re: More Flowers & Fruit (Yay!)

Thanks! I'm hoping to eventually get viable seeds out of that one - but I thought I'd cheat and try and see what's in there a little earlier. :) I don't know if the lighter parts are just empty chambers or if they have seeds growing inside, but I have my fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts

I'm pretty sure those are seeds. It looks too orderly for anything else.

I've had some polygonums and alternanthera seed before for me, even my HC did a few times, also my aciotis. It is a pretty rewarding feeling :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Hello asukawashere,

great!
Limnophila sp. "Vietnam": How long are the pedicels (flower stalks) and the petals?
Limnophila key in Flora of China: http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=118595
=> Because of the similarity with L. aromatica and the short pedicels IMO the "Vietnam" might belong to L. chinensis or L. repens. But I don't know if further similar species occur in Vietnam.

But surely You plan to make specimens and to send them to Cavan anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah, I've got a couple of cuttings from various species (including the Limno) currently being smushed under piles of aquarium literature, which I'll be sending to Cavan as a holiday present :p

As for your questions, the pedicels are short. Like, practically nonexistent. The biggest one I've seen thus far is maybe 2mm. The span of the leaves at the whorls tops out at about an inch. It's a tiny plant. :) As for the petals... I'd have to go find a ruler to be sure, and they're a bit difficult to measure what with the corolla's shape and such, but they're at a guess maybe 7mm...

Though the plant does look similar to L. repens, especially in terms of size, the Flora of China key seems to indicate that the emersed form of L. repens has strictly opposite leaves - 'Vietnam' as you can see in the photos, is whorled with typically 3 leaves to a whorl (I do occasionally see nodes with 4 leaves, and a few with 2, but the majority are 3-leaved).

In other news, my Staurogyne repens bloomed today. I'll have to take some pictures to share... also, my Lindernia sp. 'India' has produced seeds. Very, very tiny and very, very numerous seeds. Don't think I'll be getting pictures of those, but I'll send some to Cavan so he can stick them under a microscope.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: More Flowers & Fruit (Yay!)

More pretty pictures!

Staurogyne repens:

And my constant nemesis, Micranthemum umbrosum:

(This plant has the most annoyingly tiny flowers - it blooms prolifically and all, but they're so flippin' microscopic that I can never get a clear photo.)

And just for kicks, a couple peeks into my emersed tubs:

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts

Heeey! Glad to see the staurogyne flowered again it only flowered once for me. I think it must be a long night plant because I had the lights on for a long time in my tubs. And the nesea is looking great!

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Wrong Stauro ;) The stuff I got from you is a lot of S. sp. 'Porto Velho' and a bit of something else that might be S. stolonifera - these latest flowers are from an S. repens specimen I got elsewhere (plus the dark purple S. sp. 'Bihar' at the top of the thread). Among other differences, S. repens has a much more upright growth habit than the 'Port Velho' (don't ask me how that works...)

That said, your 'Porto Velho' did flower for me over the summer and into mid fall. I kicked the tub outdoors until sometime in late September, not sure if the natural shortening of the photoperiod over that time triggered anything, but inside it gets lots 'n lots of light for around 11 hours/day, which it seems to enjoy. Actually, its growth has been crazy lately - I suspect an increase in foliar fertilizing is responsible...

I'm liking the Nesaea more and more - it's the N. pedicellata 'Golden' from FAN, picked it up at the last NAS auction, and it adds a ton of color to the tub... almost looks like it's on fire or something :)

·
Registered
92 Posts

To get a photo of annoyingly tiny flower, place a 10x objective in front of a point and shoot camera lens, focus as usual, and click. I got some acceptable photos of hydra that way. If you are really industrious take several photos using a tripod with slightly different focus points and then use helicon focus to merge the photos together.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the tips! I'm nowhere near un-lazy enough to merge photos with a bunch of different foci, but I'll give the lens thing a shot if I can dig one up. And then glare at the Micranthemum for making my life so difficult in the first place LOL.

In other news, today I finally had enough simultaneous Limnophila sp. 'Vietnam' blooms to give artificial pollination a shot, so I got out one of my detail brushes (one of the benefits of being an artist is that brushes are readily available) and had at it. Hopefully it will be successful. :)

Meanwhile, my Limnophila rugosa specimen is budding, hopefully to bloom in the next few days. Observe:

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

And the L. rugosa has bloomed! And my hand is really shaky today, so all the pics are blurred! Also, it did not help my cause that the flower was at such an angle that I was forced to tip the pot on it's side and hold said flower up...

This flower has a really unique hue to it that didn't quite translate to the screen - in person, it's more of a mauve color.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks! :)

While I've been cooped up today with a virus, I went and took a couple more photos. First up is a nicer shot of the Limnophila rugosa:

Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum' is an easy-to-flower, fast-growing weed:

(See also Poaeceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo' stems in the background). The P. 'Kawagoeanum' blooms frequently throughout the year, especially if I don't trim it for awhile...

And a non-aquatic treat from my accidental tree frog's current habitat (long story), Masdevallia 'Angel Fling'

This is a hybrid orchid I picked up at J & L Orchids, a well-known grower that happens to be just a few minutes down the road. This particular hybrid is one they created themselves, from a cross of M. 'Angel Frost' and M. 'Highland Fling'

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

My new job is eating my life. Srsly. But I managed to find a few minutes yesterday for messing around with macro lenses. So, better quality photos this time! And some new species to look at! Also a ton of Limnophila spp. shots that are sharper than the last bunch!

Staurogyne repens:

Limnophila rugosa:

Limnophila sp. 'Vietnam'

Limnophila sp. 'Sulawesi'
Bud:

Wilting flower:

(this is what happens when jobs eat your life - you don't always get to take photos right when the flower blooms. Woe is me.)

Limnophila aromatica:

(unlike the rest of its genus, L. aromatica has flowers that are big enough to get decent artsy shots of...)

And my favorite of this latest batch, Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'

(This plant has yellow and orange leaves, red stems, and hot purple flowers. It's like an entire warm color palette puked in my plant tub or something.... I love it!)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Finally got my (non-wilted) Limnophila sp. 'Sulawesi' flower this past weekend! Behold:

These flowers are roughly the same size as those of my L. aromatica (i.e. about 1cm wide) but shaped a bit more like those of the L. sp. 'Vietnam' or L. rugosa. Overall, I think the aromatica is the showiest bloomer of the Limno species in my posession.

Also, a favorite of mine from over the summer, my Lindernia grandiflora is back in bloom:

The blooms are slightly larger than L. rotundifolia, L. sp. 'India' or L. dubia, and they're very intensely colored - the deep, royal purple really pops against the white background. :)

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks for the compliments!
Flowering plants varies in difficulty from species to species, but generally I've found that if you give the plants plenty of light, plenty of nutrients, and time, they'll eventually bloom.

The real problem is the species that bloom for a short period, go to seed, and then promptly die off. -_-'

1 - 20 of 160 Posts