Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody...

I'm new to the forum, and have done a bit of searching around on the site for this topic, but still haven't quite found a definite answer or solution. ...great site by-the-way...

I have "white fuzz" on my plant leaves - both new growing tips as well as older leaves. The fuzz grows on all species of plants in my tank, but not on the rocks or driftwood. This is a recent development in my tank, and during the first "episode" I trimmed all visible "fuzz" covered leaves/plants and removed all that I could see. After a week or so, and several routine water changes later, it is coming back. If left alone, it appears to spread fairly quickly throughout the tank.

I am assuming it is a fungus, but what do I do to get rid of it? I am at the point right now that I don't think additional trimming will really help.

Here are the specifics of my tank:
-120gal
-Heavily planted, moderate fish load
-Temp = 78-80
-pH = 6.8ish (+/- depending on the water change cycle - but pretty constant)
-Hardness (kH) = 4 - 5 (variations due to water changes)
-CO2 injection
-Water changes = totals roughly 50 - 60% per week
-Intense fluorescent lighting at roughly 10 hours/day
-Minimal algae (other than routine glass film which is taken care of during water changes)
-I add liquid calcium for my snails (spiral substrate snails)
-I add liquid plant fertilizer from time to time (mostly iron) for leaf color/health

What I have tried so far:
-Trimming
-I just recently added aquarium salt

Any suggestions??????? ...I'm really open for any ideas. I will also try to post a couple of pics.

Thanks much for any help.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple of pics. ...I had to shrink them down, so hopefully the quality is still there to show the fuzz clearly.

The first pic shows one of my red temple plants with the fuzz on it. Although the center leaves show it clearly, if you look closely you can see a "haze" around other leaf edges - this is the fuzz in its early stages.

The second pic is a close-up of one of the leaves. Again, these pics only show the temples, but the fuzz is on bocapa, rotella, etc... and even on the newest of growing tips.

Thanks again for any help/suggestions!

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... I have news - and possibly a solution to my problem.

My wife did a web search on the possibilities of some sort of fungus, and stumbled on a thread somewhere about adding aquarium salt to the water (she is scary good when it comes to web searches). Now... I know that aquarium salt is supposed to be good for tanks and fish, but I'll be honest, I pretty much have never added it before. ...my fish have always been pretty healthy so I never thought about it.

Well...as I stated in my last post with the pictures, I recently added aquarium salt (the morning I posted the pics, and at a dosage as generally prescribed on the carton) as a "what the heck - why not" treatment before I tried chemicals. After being gone all day today, I came home to find nearly 100% of the "white fuzz" gone. I only have a few leaves with - what appears to be - the last dying bits of the stuff clinging on. My guess is that by tomorrow, it should all be gone.

I see that a number of folks checked this post over the past couple of days, so for those that check back in, I'm quickly becoming a believer in adding salt. Now my question is... has anyone ever had any PROBLEMS with adding aquarium salt????

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not an endorsement of the product/company - just a statement of what I used...

It was Dr. Wellfish's Aquarium Salt, and I simply followed the recommended "one rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons" prescription.

This morning it looks like there are a couple of leaves that still have a little fuzz hanging on, so my plan is to do another water change, trim the last couple of leaves, re-salt the tank as prescribed, and see what happens.

Good luck with your effort.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well.... I may have spoken too soon. We'll see.

The white fuzz is definitely reduced, but it is still hanging in there on some leaves. Now the problem is that a bunch of my temple leaves are falling off, and I now have staghorn algae popping up!!!!

I have no idea what the %&#[email protected]*& is going on... I went from a GREAT looking tank, to this in a matter of 10 days! We'll see... I'm off to do a water change...

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sad to see I'm not the only one with this crudd!

I, too, decided to go ahead and chemically treat with a fungicide. I used Fungus Cure from API... Although the straight aquarium salt knocked it back for about a day after initial treatment, it jumped right back. Plus, I didn't find out until a little later that for planted tanks, you don't want to use a "full" dosing of salt - you need to keep it about have the recommended dose or less (i.e. no more than about 1/2 Tbs./gal) otherwise your plants will suffer.

I am at the end of the recommended two treatments - each 48 hours - and will be doing a water change after I finish this post. While it seems it put a significant hurt on the fuzz, I can still see a few small areas holding on. ...I'll know how much was able to hold on when I get the water cleared out a little more.

This stuff is unreal - hopefully one of us (or another viewer) will stumble onto the cause/cure for this stuff!

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope your efforts pay off! I went ahead and did a full treatment of fungicide, water changes, and another hearty trim, so we'll see how that goes. So far so good. I pulled my rocks out and nuked them in a bleach dip (they were just starting to get some nasty algae as well), and really siphoned the gravel well - so hopefully that provides added help. We'll see.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well... the chemical treatment helped get rid of most of the stuff, but never all of it, and now a few leaves have a slight amount of the fuzz coming back.

Regarding the other posts:
1) It HAS to be something to do with nutrients in the water and the aquarium's ability to cycle through them properly. The problem is, I've done everything I could think of (until now) to get it stabilized and functioning correctly - I've had great aquariums for years, so I THINK I know what I'm doing - maybe not! :(

My thought right now is that my aquarium has so many plants that are so dense, that it is tough to clean the gravel underneath and behind them. I have to assume that I have so much dead plant material decaying in and behind the plants - along with fish poo - that my water changes and "easy" gravel cleaning aren't even close to keeping up with the nutrients being released into the water. When I did my last cleaning, I pushed a good number of the plants aside and cleaned out from under them and was horrified at the crap I pulled out!

My solution now is going to be this - tear down the tank, dip the plants and rocks, thoroughly clean out the gravel (not completely wash it, however, to try and keep the bacteria), and re-plant in a less dense, easier-to-clean fashion, and then see what happens.

2) I know my water is REALLY soft - so hard water isn't the problem in my tank at least.

3) So far the chemicals didn't kill off my snails, so I'm not sure about any shrimp. You'd be wise, however, to pull them before any treatment, however.

I'll keep you posted on how things go, and I appreciate all the other posts as well. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.