Aquatic Plant Forum banner

More "White Fuzz" on Plants!

99K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  flyboy320 
I'm new to the hobby - and my google search for "white fuzz algae aquatic plants" led me to this thread. Did anyone determine if hard water is the core of the issue? My plants' roots & stems seem healthy otherwise, so I'm not sure about the decaying hypothesis in my case. The fuzz is in my 5gal hex with a betta & frog who eat pretty protein-rich food, planted with two broad pinnate leaf "sword" like plants - one green, one variegated, and a small clone of a multi-leafed plant that my goldfish find tasty. (please excuse my ignorance on what they are called). The tank gets roughly 50% water changes per week. The fuzz is non-existent in my 55gal. I have occasionally let my pleco have a holiday in this small tank to control any algae, but he's grown too big for that and my betta wont tolerate any other algae eaters (he chases anything that runs). The fuzz has appeared since the pleco has not been allowed back to feast. My frog wont tolerate much salt, and I'm hesitant to chemically treat the water unless I know for sure exactly what I'm treating and exactly what I'm treating it with. Did any of you figure out what works BEST with this? I can't tell from all the different methods tried what the deciding factor was?
Thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.