Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Not sure really, I've looked at a few online and will see what is available locally. I don't have a preference really as long as my water's good and the problem goes away I'll be happy. I will definitely update after a few weeks and let everyone know what turns out, at least for my case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well... the chemical treatment helped get rid of most of the stuff, but never all of it, and now a few leaves have a slight amount of the fuzz coming back.

Regarding the other posts:
1) It HAS to be something to do with nutrients in the water and the aquarium's ability to cycle through them properly. The problem is, I've done everything I could think of (until now) to get it stabilized and functioning correctly - I've had great aquariums for years, so I THINK I know what I'm doing - maybe not! :(

My thought right now is that my aquarium has so many plants that are so dense, that it is tough to clean the gravel underneath and behind them. I have to assume that I have so much dead plant material decaying in and behind the plants - along with fish poo - that my water changes and "easy" gravel cleaning aren't even close to keeping up with the nutrients being released into the water. When I did my last cleaning, I pushed a good number of the plants aside and cleaned out from under them and was horrified at the crap I pulled out!

My solution now is going to be this - tear down the tank, dip the plants and rocks, thoroughly clean out the gravel (not completely wash it, however, to try and keep the bacteria), and re-plant in a less dense, easier-to-clean fashion, and then see what happens.

2) I know my water is REALLY soft - so hard water isn't the problem in my tank at least.

3) So far the chemicals didn't kill off my snails, so I'm not sure about any shrimp. You'd be wise, however, to pull them before any treatment, however.

I'll keep you posted on how things go, and I appreciate all the other posts as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chris-
I also have this white fuzz growing on my plants (not on anything else) it seems to be on only wider leaved plants, like my swords and cardinal lobelia leaves...I did take pictures...(I dont know how to post them though?)
I have similar tank specs to yours:
55 gallon
heavily planted
fairly heavy fish load
temp is 78-79
hardness 7 (both GH and KH)
pH 6.8 ish
CO2 injection
30% water changes weekly
intese fluoresent lighting @6 wpg on for 10 hours daily
Im adding Seachem Potassium weekly, and was adding flourish and iron, but this problem started, and so I stopped all but potassium, and undergravel plants pellets for the swords.
I cant find any info on what this white filmy fuzz is?????
I think this weekend Im going to brush it off with a toothbrush and cut off any real bad leaves...I'll keep you posted.
Please keep me posted too. I really hate to use any type of chemicals in my tank, I really dont even want to use salt.
-Tara

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread seems to have withered away, but for anyone checking back, I just wanted to let everyone know, that my white fuzz problem has been "cured" now for a month at least. At first I tried cleaning it out by pruning out as many affected plant leaves as possible, and doing a large water change, then I noticed a few days later, this fuzz had moved to my driftwood (total engulfing it) and also continued on some plants...I noticed that my Crossochielus siamensis (siamese algae eater) was eating it, but he couldnt keep up with its growth, I had a Golden Algae eater who keep things sparkling in another aquarium that I moved over to this one...and within 1 week all of this stuff is GONE. No chemicals!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Well I have had enough time go bye now I have had to prune back my tanks a few times and periodically I do still get some of this "fuzz" but nothing like what I was experiencing before. I have noticed that is I let my Co2 get too high it does seem to increase whatever this is. I havent seen anything like what I had experienced in the past however and havent had to break the tank down since that last time.
My biggest issue it seems now is algae, I've got algae growing on my gravel and tank glass, I scrub it and vacuum what I can but it's a weekly chore. Anyways not going to get this off topic.

I never figured out what the white Fuzz was but for the most part it's gone, and when I see anything resembling it I pull it out immediately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the hobby - and my google search for "white fuzz algae aquatic plants" led me to this thread. Did anyone determine if hard water is the core of the issue? My plants' roots & stems seem healthy otherwise, so I'm not sure about the decaying hypothesis in my case. The fuzz is in my 5gal hex with a betta & frog who eat pretty protein-rich food, planted with two broad pinnate leaf "sword" like plants - one green, one variegated, and a small clone of a multi-leafed plant that my goldfish find tasty. (please excuse my ignorance on what they are called). The tank gets roughly 50% water changes per week. The fuzz is non-existent in my 55gal. I have occasionally let my pleco have a holiday in this small tank to control any algae, but he's grown too big for that and my betta wont tolerate any other algae eaters (he chases anything that runs). The fuzz has appeared since the pleco has not been allowed back to feast. My frog wont tolerate much salt, and I'm hesitant to chemically treat the water unless I know for sure exactly what I'm treating and exactly what I'm treating it with. Did any of you figure out what works BEST with this? I can't tell from all the different methods tried what the deciding factor was?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been battling this stuff for weeks in 29 gallon, moderately planted, high light, and pressurized CO2 injected tank with a extremely soft/acidic water supply. This seems to happen in my tanks using Eco-Complete. So this is what I did:

• I took out all plants and hardscape and gave them a thorough rinsing in tap water.
  • Our municipal water provider replied to a friend saying that this can happen when additional sulphates end up in the water supply (they said this was not initiated by any addition they had made).
  • I gravel washed all my substrate (a half/half mixture of 1 year old Flourite Black and brand new Eco-Complete) and in the process I did a 80 - 85% water change.
  • I also added a 24W UV sterilizer to assist in water clarity (my water has always been crystal clear before this incident).
  • When rinsing the sponges within my Eheim 2234, both the fine and coarse sponges were completely engulfed with a clear gelatinous mass (they looked like they were dipped in gelatin and set) :eek:!
  • I also added 3 large Mountain Fan Shrimp and these guys will also thoroughly rake and filter through substrate surfaces and plants (including Flame Moss, Mini Pelia, US Fissedens, and Mermaid weed).

I have not really noticed a resurgeance of the issue since doing the major overhaul of my system. I just wanted to share my experience.

Best Regards,

Stuart

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.