Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Here it is my new scape and new experience... Only for moss addicted! :lol:
I don't know yet if I'll add some stem plants in the layout to give some contrast and fill some area. What do you think?
About the moss, I didn't tie it to rocks or wood, I just planted it like others foreground plant.

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very innovative! I´m sure it will look good when its finished - like all you other scapes.:)
Do you have some specifications on tank size, lightning etc.?

I think it would look good with some kind of Eleocharis as background plant in the left part of the tank.

·
Registered
578 Posts
neet! I like it, however there is not much elevation in the tank. Maybe you could add some stones covered with moss or put more moss on the base of that DW.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The front piece of DW kinda makes the tank claudofobic and should be moved more back. I dont like that peticular piece and feel it would be nicer without or more hidden in the back. Maybe a smaller piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FAAO,

Nice start... what types are you trying? I'll be watching for updates:D I' love to see more moss only tanks. I'm also curious to see if the moss will take on the substrate as well

Troy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Very dynamic scape, I like it.
The way the driftwood is arranged at this point doesn't appear very 'natural' per say, but more abstract in appearence compared to conventional layouts. Yet it works. Interested to see what it will grow into.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very innovative! I´m sure it will look good when its finished - like all you other scapes.:)
Do you have some specifications on tank size, lightning etc.?
Sure, here it is:

SETUP:
Date: 15.06.2008 - dd.mm.yyyy
Size: 55x35x35 ( long*wide*tall) cm
Volume: 67L
Temperature: 25ºC
pH: 6,8

Lighting: 3x24w T5 6.500k
Filter: Aquaclear 25
CO2: DIY + Elos ATO-10

Substrate: Elos bottom mineral, Elos Terra zero, Elos Terra natural soil small grain (12L)
Fertilization: Elos Fase1, Fase2, Extra1 and K40 by Elos Schedule program

Rocks: Schist
Wood decoration: Red Moorwood

Plants: Singapore moss (Vesicularia dubyana), Didiplis diandra and Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'

Fish: Otocinclus sp, Boraras maculatus, Iriatherina werneri and 1 Celestichthys margaritatus (I will buy more very soon)
Invertebrate: Neocaridina heteropoda var. red and Caridina cf. cantonensis 'Tiger'

I think it would look good with some kind of Eleocharis as background plant in the left part of the tank.
I will let grow the moss and then I decide. I don't want to mix more that one foreground plant, otherwise I'll have some problems with the trimming.

neet! I like it, however there is not much elevation in the tank. Maybe you could add some stones covered with moss or put more moss on the base of that DW.
Let the moss grow, it will spread also over the DW for sure. I only need to trim it and don't let it swallow the all layout :D

The front piece of DW kinda makes the tank claudofobic and should be moved more back. I dont like that peticular piece and feel it would be nicer without or more hidden in the back. Maybe a smaller piece.
Which one? The front piece at right, that are pointing backward?
yesterday, I planted on the back some didiplis diandra, that of certainty it will go to disguise these branches of wood.

Very dynamic scape, I like it.
The way the driftwood is arranged at this point doesn't appear very 'natural' per say, but more abstract in appearence compared to conventional layouts. Yet it works. Interested to see what it will grow into.
I love to make the opposite :heh:

i like how you planted the moss as you would HC or hair grass I don't know what your planning to do with that big piece of wood on the upper left but IMO it kinda looks unsettling at first glance maybe when it fills in i can see what your shooting for
You need to wait a little more to see what I intend to do ;) and of course, If I can do it! I have a several doubts... the first is the moss...can it fill the bottom?!
I will consider this layout a test before I make the real one! :heh:

Cheers and thanks for the comments,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks you for the specifications.

I will let grow the moss and then I decide. I don't want to mix more that one foreground plant, otherwise I'll have some problems with the trimming.
I meant Eleocharis as a backgrond plant. E. vivipara for example...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

Here it is an update of this aquarium with 1week after the setup.
I added some Didiplis diandra near/back of DW and in a few days it will be visible. Very soon, I will trim the moss to keep it down and to promote the spreading.
I will keep this layout updated!

Click on the picture to enlarge.

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very interesting layout. I'm curious to learn how you keep the water so clear. Do you use activated charcoal or did you just soak the driftwood to leach all the tannins out for a long period?

If you moss grows anything like mine has, you'll have a little green forest very soon. Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Olá amigo Filipe,

About your new tank, i don't like de upper wood on the left i think it's too thick.. but i think when the moss grow it will look like tears felling from the wood, it will look amazing..Something new from a innovative aquascaper... my congratulations.. i will be watching for new uptdates.

Good luck with the moss.. i hope you pray for this summer don't be very hot, because of the moss :)

Cheers
Abraço

Ricardo Rosa

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very interesting layout. I'm curious to learn how you keep the water so clear. Do you use activated charcoal or did you just soak the driftwood to leach all the tannins out for a long period?
I didn't do anything to the wood, I bought it and put it on the aquarium :D
This kind of wood doesn't free tannins in high quantity to let the water like "tea" and doesn't change the water's parameters.
About filtration, most of bacteries are on substrate, on the filter I have only wool ;)

Good luck with the moss.. i hope you pray for this summer don't be very hot, because of the moss :)
Olá Ricardo,
I don't think that I'll have problems with it but... Time will tell!!!

whats the fish in the bottom right with the long fin things?

tank looks great btw
I think that you are talking about Iriatherina Werneri, take a look at the following link:
Iriatherina Werneri

So, here it is an update of this aquarium.
I did the first trimming and I didn't remove the exceded moss.
I want to keep the moss very low and fill the entire bottom quickly and looking at this picture it seams that entire bottom is almost filled... :shock:

You can see more pictures on my blog, clicking on the following links:
Caridina cantonensis sp. Crystal Red
Neocaridina heteropoda sp. red
More macros

Cheers,

Filipe Oliveira

1 - 20 of 50 Posts