Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the rescape of the 90P for the new year. I have planted different types of mosses on each stick of manzanita so when it fills in there will be different looking trees in the tank. with HC and UG, and dworf clover as the forground plants. With an assortment of stem plants in the background to fill in contrast behind the trees.

This tank is on 100% R.O. water, and using a large water softenizer to get all the extra stuff in the tank. Fertilization in this tank is Pferts liquid P.K.M.N. Green gain, and green bacter, Phyton Git as needed.

Tank is only three days old now so I have been doing 50-100% water changes every day with R.O.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL I think that is the movie The Village!!!

I agree. I just said "don't go near the trees! Don't go!!" not sure where the heck I picked up that line... but it fit. Scary tank for Spooky fish.

I am interested in seeing this one filled in. Looks good. :clap2:

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using Flame moss, fissidens font. , Mini Pellia, Thai moss,and feather moss. so I think that is a big enough variation of textures of moss.

I think the trees are neat. Do you think there will be enough differentiation in the mosses for them to really look different? The mix with your rock is nice.

Your foreground seems a big wild. I see UG, HC, Downoi, ranunculus, marsilea (or glosso), riccia and maybe blyxa. They seem to be all mixed together. I think they might look better grouped in specific areas. You could repeat the area in another place. If you leave them all mixed together it might not be the best look.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manzanita grows naturally all arround Arizona so I can pick and choose my pieces as I like.Just need to collect in places that are not protected. plus you are taking old dry branches anyway.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I did some upgrades to the tank after looking at it. I added more smaller rocks in the front area to bring more detail and contrast to the front of the tank. It is nice to see all the plants are starting to fill in also

I have purchased a R.O. unit just for doing water changes in my two plant tanks.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well here is 17 days after I settup this tank what it looks like. I am dosing this tank on Pferts 5pumps of each P,K,M,N every day, 50% water changes with R.O. every 3 days. The TH is at 67 for the time of these pictures which is a day before water change. usually the TH is arround 40 in this tank after water changes and fertilizers are re established.

More close ups of my mini pellia tree

I still have not done a grooming on this tank but I will need to trim some of the moss on the big left tree, and some of the green rotala in the front creeping in.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you all for the comments again. I agree too that there is/was to many plants in the tank. I removed some of the ones that were just filler for the startup time of the tank. I just removed the hygro from the back left of the tank, and I removed one of the sticks on the right side and planted more mini pellia on the one that I left there now on the lower parts of the branches and on the end of the tiny branches to represent newer growth on a end of a branch look.

Donald your tank is looking increadible also very inspiring. I am glad others like you feel the same way with this tank. I think if it was solid from left to right like this it would loose your attention easier. Now it makes you want to look arround the corner to see what is growing.

I still have not trimmed the Green rotala yet.

What do you think of the changes?

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That is pretty much perfect, Arowana! :D The only suggestion that I have is for you to replant the green specimen directly in the middle a bit further back (I can't tell what it is from this angle....it is green and "frilly" looking); I think that it too close to your trees and takes away from the depth in that specific area. Other than that, it is pretty much perfect, and major kudos to you!!
Don I Think you are talking about the Rotala Verticallis:confused: I was kind of wondering that myself and I moved the red form narrow esturallis stellata to the back. I have been considering moving the R. Vert. now just where to move it to keep it as a focal plant and fit into the scape?

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just noticed you have mini pellia growing on one of your trees, awesome
FYI it makes increadible looking trees and I am exploiting its look as much as I can now in this tank and going to add more of it to more branches I think.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I've enjoyed the style of your tanks and I think I see what your going after. In my opinion the issue is the height of the wood on in the left/left-mid area. I believe they are too tall and it creates a difficult transition since the tank appears fullier on the right. If those branches were lower or moved to the right with lower branches in their place it would be more effective IMHO.
Thank you for your compliments on the tank. I really love how the tank looks when you are just looking at it. It has so much color and texture, it is really amazing but, when you look at it in pictures it looks congested. I want to see what happens when the moss finally fills in the branches see how full it looks then.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dirtybirdy post up some pics when you do.

I just added 25 rummy nose tetras, and three discus tetras, and another 10 otto cats.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
here are some updated pictures of both my 90P, and my Mini M tanks. I just got a group of 25 rummy nose tetras for my 90P I am planning on another 25 :pray:

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Man that 90P would be award winning if you could move the scape part to the left. Take your hand and cover the left 1/4 of the tank. Wow. lol
all right I rearanged it a little to make it look fuller on the left side. Plus I groomed the plants in the middle section a little more.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well here is an update on this tank I have been grooming the stem plants back every week. cutting different sections of it every week to have them fill in with the right layering.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Tex Gal, Ncy,Jessie, and Donald thank you all again for the compliments on my scape it is a constant work in the making.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have done a bit of grooming and shaping these last two weeks and have removed some plant species such as the dwarf riccia, and the Polygonum sp. Plus I removed a branch on the left that had my fissidens moss on it because it was to out of place looking. But I did put in two new smaller branches "shrubs" in the tank one on the left side, and one in the middle left that are covered in mini pellia to balance the style of the look a little more.

Hedson the temperature in the tank is the same as the room temp which is 75 F right now

Maxima thanks for the comments. I agree the look was too chaotic that is why I removed some of the plants. I did remove one of the trees on the left just because I thought it was so out of place it was distracting but I liked seeing wood work on that side to I put a smaller one there with similar branch structure as the rest in the tank.

Donald are you saying I am just a conformist!!!! LOL to the contrary I actually removed allot from that left side and may even remove a bunch from the right side also.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
These are the pictures of the tank the day after the last grooming I just did. mind you I removed ALL of the dwarf riccia from the foreground so the grass looks a little rough. and I removed a big chunk of the red out of the middle back when I removed the Polygonum sp.

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
[/QUOTE] But even you have to admit that on most of your works, the initial picture is a far cry from what you end up with. Some similarity exists, but I have seen some substantial evolving to get to that end point. :)[/QUOTE]

This is true I do like to change the look if it does not feel just right. It is easier to setup a scape and leave it if you have at least two others to keep your attention with, well at least in my experience.
I only have two tanks setup as displays and have so many ideas floating in my head that I want to let out but not enough space and tanks to fulfill my dreams. Also with the addiction to new and different plants I am trying to establish a happy medium between blending a aqua scape into a plant farm also. I did just recently buy a new leemar trim less star fire 16" cube tank that I am just using as a plant storage tank for right now. I hope by getting it setup I can make at least one of my tanks stay the same from start to finish................for awhile;) just need to find a place to put it now :rolleyes:

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It looks more like a "shrubbery" or a "hedgery" than a forest now! :D
QUOTE]

It is amazing how fast this tank fills back in though Fresh Aqua soil + High CO2 +HQI lighting+Pferts+ R.O. water = aquatic jungle. by next weekend the tank will be overflowing with plant life again!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.