Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm going to be moving in October to a new house. I have a 55 bowfront NPT that I am bringing with me. It's been running for a few years. I live in a hilly area and will be moving about 10 minutes away. I have no idea how to move this guy. It's dirted with a gravel cap and rocks/driftwood. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm moving to a house on a steep part of a hill with stairs to enter.
Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not thinking of moving it with water are you?
no. I'm trying to figure out if I can move it with barely any water but leave the substrate and plants. the fish would be in a cooler and the rocks/driftwood would be put into a separate bucket too. Or do I have to completely break down the tank and cry?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would take everything out, substrate and all. Moving with weight inside stresses the silicone seams.
Any suggestions on setting it back up? Should I use the original soil base? Or start from scratch? Obviously I'll have to replant all the plants, which sucks cause their root systems are huge now. But better that than a cracked tank.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
You can scoop the dirt into a bucket. That's value dirt. Plants will recover better from trims of leaves and roots.
*** Actually, might as well add a little new dirt and then add your old dirt on top to replenish some nutrients.

I had split the silicone seam causing a small leak by being lazy and not removing the substrate and a little water. I had to reseal the tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can scoop the dirt into a bucket. That's value dirt. Plants will recover better from trims of leaves and roots.
*** Actually, might as well add a little new dirt and then add your old dirt on top to replenish some nutrients.

I had split the silicone seam causing a small leak by being lazy and not removing the substrate and a little water. I had to reseal the tank.
OK that seems doable. When you were resetting the tank, did you have to wait a bit before adding the fish in or were you able to put everything back at once?

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
no. I'm trying to figure out if I can move it with barely any water but leave the substrate and plants. the fish would be in a cooler and the rocks/driftwood would be put into a separate bucket too. Or do I have to completely break down the tank and cry?
Mistergreen is right. If it were a 10 gal tank, I think you could safely move it as you describe. But a 55 gal packs a lot of extra weight.
Yes, the old substrate will have plenty of nitrifying bacteria and your plants are acclimated, so you should have no adjustment problems.

·
Registered
Walstad low-tech 40 B, central FL biotope, creator of Jordanella floridae x Mobula birostris hybrid
38 Posts
Could one slide the almost-empty (except for substrate and plants) tank onto a strong surface (3/4 inch ply, a tabletop, etc) like a "stretcher" of sorts and carefully move it sitting on that? I have a 40g NPT that I've wondered about moving, and if you could keep it sitting upright on a non-flexible level surface the whole time, stress on the tank could be minimized in transit. I'm in Florida so few hills, but might be something to consider. YMMV wildly...

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
Could one slide the almost-empty (except for substrate and plants) tank onto a strong surface (3/4 inch ply, a tabletop, etc) like a "stretcher" of sorts and carefully move it sitting on that? I have a 40g NPT that I've wondered about moving, and if you could keep it sitting upright on a non-flexible level surface the whole time, stress on the tank could be minimized in transit. I'm in Florida so few hills, but might be something to consider. YMMV wildly...
Stretcher for a tank?
Seems like it might work fine. If you do this, let us know results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is how I moved my 40 B. I removed the fish (which took MUCH longer than I anticipated - hint: remove most of the water before attempting to remove the fish) and as much water as possible and slid it onto a thick piece of plywood. All went fine until my husband tripped and all that was in the tank slid to his side. Fortuntely, nothing broke, not on him nor on the tank: the tank stayed stable on the plywood the entire time, just slanted during the 'fall'. We loaded it into the back of the CRV and drove about 2 hours before carrying the 'stretcher' into our son's house. I covered the tank with plastic wrap (not tightly, but laid it over the plants and dirt-topped gravel). The fish lived in a bucket for about a week before we could move the tank into our new house. I had bottled about 10 gallons of the tank water to use for the fish bucket, which was double what I actually needed. The only causuality was my lovely 'grassy' coverage which got buried from the gravel avalanche. So much work but it was a success. Best of luck on your move!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts