Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm new in this forum and writing from Italy.
Fantastic forum !!! Great expert people !
I need some advise on how to convert my aquarium from CO2 injected to a low tech tank.
First step I sold my CO2 injection system to a friend, big step !
Then I changed the lighting time including a siesta of 4 hours, so 5 hours in the morning + siesta + 6 hours in the afternoon. This allowed me to recover some CO2 , confirmed by the pH meter going down about 0.4 during the siesta.
Anyway plants are not growing so well and my doubt is the substrate.
I have a commercial JBL Manado on top, JBL aquabasis in the bottom. Nothing that can provide CO2 by bacteria decomposition I think.
Question, can I add organic matter in this substrate without change it ?
Ex. putting frozen soil-water mix underground the substrate ? Or commercial peat -water mix frozen ?
Or do you think is better to dismount everything and do a soil + inert gravel substrate ?
Thanks if you can give me some suggestion
Acquarium values are now:
GH 11
KH 8
pH 7.8- 8.2
NO3 5 ppm
NH4 0
PO4 0
37,5 gallons aquarium

Ciao
Stefano

· Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
Stephano, welcome to APC! Mistergreen is right, this is probably the easiest way to add soil. Make the frozen pieces small enough to handle with forceps, and don't do too many at once.

Depending on which species of plants you are growing, you may see some decline without artificial CO2. If that happens, take them out and replace with species that do well in Walstad tanks.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mistergreen & Michael, I will try with frozen mud and look what happens. Light is now at 2 W per gallon, t5 tubes, maybe I will reduce a little, but no big algae problems. Just some plants are not growing. Hygrophila polisperma and anubias nana are growing slowly, ninphea lotus is blocked.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Overall now my tank has inproved, and most probably some plants have adapted to the new environment. Higrophyla P. Is growing at regular rate, Echinodorus Sp. have started to grow. I added two weeks ago Limnobium Laevigatum, and I think this has contributed to some stabilization too. Now I have some BBA on Anubias to get rid of, so I have reduced light intensity and I think I'll add some active carbon in the filter. Anyway everithing is very low compared to my previous setup with CO2, I need also to adapt my thinking to this new speed and be patient...sometimes I'm not and would lite to see improvements in few days...;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts