Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to move back to college in a week and I have two ten gallon tanks that I'm bringing. Unfortunately they're just getting settled in with grow-in and the my shrimp are finally acclimated and looking red like they're supposed to...

...can I just drain the tanks and leave everything planted then re-fill when I get there? It would be very tough to capture all the shrimp in my tank, so I think I'll have to leave an inch or two of water in that one. The other tank has two badis sp. that I'll take out. Has this worked out okay for anyone?

Can anyone lend some advice? I'm kinda worried about it.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
How long will the tanks be in transit? I've moved small tanks (10 to 20 gal) with the substrate & plants in place with minimal water left in them (just barely above the substrate). I covered the tank with plastic wrap to keep the moisture in so the plants wouldn't dry out.

I don't know about leaving the shrimp and enough water for them though. You'd probably be okay since a ten isn't that big so it wouldn't be an enormous amount of stress on the tank or too heavy to move securely.

Will you be able to transport the tanks on a sturdy flat surface? I've moved tanks in the backseat by placing them on a large board for stability.

You're probably planning to do this anyway, but try to keep as much of your water as you can and transport it in clean jugs or something else you can seal so when you refill the tanks it won't be with totally different water.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
I don't think you can ever go wrong by completely emptying the tank before moving it. When I have moved, and moved the tank with me, I have always just accepted that I have to set it all up all over again, so I completely remove everything from the tank. I found that I can catch the shrimp pretty easily once the water is down to less than an inch. As I get it even lower, the low spots become little pools and the shrimp that have escaped tend to all be there.

You can probably get away with moving a ten gallon tank, as Catherine said, but the risk is always there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How long will the tanks be in transit? I've moved small tanks (10 to 20 gal) with the substrate & plants in place with minimal water left in them (just barely above the substrate). I covered the tank with plastic wrap to keep the moisture in so the plants wouldn't dry out.

I don't know about leaving the shrimp and enough water for them though. You'd probably be okay since a ten isn't that big so it wouldn't be an enormous amount of stress on the tank or too heavy to move securely.

Will you be able to transport the tanks on a sturdy flat surface? I've moved tanks in the backseat by placing them on a large board for stability.

You're probably planning to do this anyway, but try to keep as much of your water as you can and transport it in clean jugs or something else you can seal so when you refill the tanks it won't be with totally different water.
I have also done this with my tanks, it worked just fine. The 30 gallon was a little heavy but we managed, no fish or plants lost. A 10 gallon should be fine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree with catherine about moving it as is since it just a 10 g tank.Just make sure the tank will be stable as to not let the water roll over heavily as you might loose some of your shrimps and end up under your substrate.I would recommend to remove the shrimps and put it on a more handy container with some moss.:D.Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mmmk. They'll be in the back of a van on the floor...pretty flat. Yeah, I'm keeping as much of the water as seems reasonable. Probably about 1/2-3/4 of it.

I guess I'll just have to hope for the best. Should be okay though.

Another thought: how well do home-made "shrimp traps" work? If they do okay I think I'll start capturing the shrimp like a day in advance and keep them separate from the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Don't forget how much sloshing you can get in a tank. I could see even an inch of water in one being able to slosh some out of the tank, if it is one the floor of a van. Think bumps, quick stops, sudden turns, etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget how much sloshing you can get in a tank. I could see even an inch of water in one being able to slosh some out of the tank, if it is one the floor of a van. Think bumps, quick stops, sudden turns, etc.
Yeah, I'm going as close to empty as my siphon will take it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I didn't catch how long you'll be in transit, but I'd also be concerned about having enough oxygen in the water. I think trapping as many shrimp as you can is a good idea. You can keep them in deeper water with a battery air pump to ensure they have plenty of oxygen. Give them a plant to hold onto while moving (moss works well).

I also agree with bottling your water. Normally, I wouldn't suggest this, but doing a 100% water change with new water can be a shock to the shrimp. At least take enough with you that you can use to to hold the shrimp while acclimating them to the new local water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.