Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two ten gallon tanks that I will need to move in three weeks to a location three hours away. If I take a couple five gallon buckets of water to help acclimate the tanks, could I just drain them to the gravel and drive them down then re-set them back up?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thats what I would do. If their are any fish I would bag them up since it would be safe that way. Use towels or something to wrap around the tanks to protect them durung the ride.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem with a 10gal but any thing bigger I would take out the gravel. Just make sure you have the tanks setting on a flat surface. When a tank gets on a surface that lets the tank twist, thats when the bottom seal brakes or a worst the bottom brakes.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would nail some 6x1s together into trays that you can lift the tanks up by.

I've personally carried 10 gallon tanks around drained to the sand without a problem, but not for long trips.

I'm moving 14 hours myself in three weeks and expect to transport 3 10 gallons this way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would just tear them down, but I really like the setups right now...and they're only 10 gal tanks so like you said it should be okay.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I moved a 55 gallon tank once. It traveled less than 45 miles to it's new location. I was smart to drain it down, remove all flora and fauna. I was sketchy about the 120 lbs. of flourite red though. but I said screw it, The top piece on the stand wasn't mounted, so I had a 5/8" inch of oak to support it during the lifting and moving of the tank. I merely sat it back down on the frame stand itself. You got a couple of 10 gallons, I wouldn't worry about what you're proposing to do. I drained my 20 gallon down to 6 and left the fish in! There was no substrate to this tank as it's designed for breeding purposes. It traveled in the back trunk with saran wrap over the top to prevent water splashing out. I guess I was lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts