Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this thread if the subject has been treated before, but with so many pages and posts it is simply not possible for me to spend the time on a hunt. Here's my question:

As I was looking at Mr. Amano's 2nd book for the umpteenth time just now, it occurred to me that you all might know the answer to yet another question I've had ever since the first time I saw his little tanks in the front of the book.

Mr. Amano says, in describing his two small 1 liter and 3 liter tanks, that the plants are not growing in a substrate, but rather in "wall mats". No further explanations. He must think his readers will know what he means! Do you all have any idea what Mr. Amano means by "wall mats"?

I have seen the various inventive ways that he and others have used to grow Riccia, so having it in the little aquaria is not so puzzling to me. But how he grows such things as Ludwigia arcuata and Microanthemum micranthoides without substrate, in a "wall mat", is outside of my ability to figure out. He mentions that these two species are with the Riccia in the little tanks.

Thanks in advance for helping me yet again, gasteriaphile

·
Registered
654 Posts
Most of the stuff on those issues is very generic. Those books were published way back and are more of a coffee style table kinda book. For sure there is a lost in translation in lots of the book due to different language. They are getting better at it. I doubt he assume we know that and is keeping all the secret.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nguyen, thanks for your reply. Maybe someone else knows more about the "wall mats"?
Must be someone who has wondered about them same as me. gasteriaphile

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it refers to plants (mostly moss" that are grown on netting.

With moss, you normaly take two pieces of stiff netting with fairly small holes in it. Place the moss inbetween*1 and fasten the whole thing to the tank with suction cups*2.

After some time, the moss will grow out of the netting and cover it. The end result will be a moss wall.

*1 secure the two pieces of netting with some fishing line or cable strips.

*2 Use suction cups with a "head"/ball on top, and make holes in the netting so that you can just get the "head" trough to fasten it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear Malawi, interesting. I can see how that would work. Making a sandwich would certainly work for riccia. However, I don't see how the same could be done with the other two plants Amano lists (see my first post). You've gotten me at least to "thinking" and I appreciate that! Gasteriaphile

·
Registered
51 Posts
It actually is possible. If you use the stiff matting material on one surface and sandwhich it with a thinner veil-like material with larger holes (sold at Joanne's or one of the other fabric stores) the veil material actually comes in all sizes and colors. It should work w/ HM, HC, glossostigmata, rotala mini species. L. Arcuata; however, may be challenging, but should be possible. The advantage also with the softer veil material is that you're are not crushing the stems and leaves and more light reaches the plant. This is from past attempts.

Example:
http://www.killies.com/Mosswall.htm

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know if it helps, but the European plant nursery Tropica sells two gallon cubes in Europe where the plants are rooted on a coconut fiber mat, and they have hc, ludwigias, bacopas and such growing. Maybe this could be a good idea for small tanks where substrate would take too much space. I,d just boil the fiber really well so the water doesn't turn brown.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi friend, look I have written something about it in our local club.

Look at this post. It is in spanish but the pictures say it all.

http://www.croa.com.ar/ipb2/index.php?showtopic=11527

What you have to buy is some kind of hard net with holes of about 3 or 4 milimiters. I have used a plastic network used to put on the windows to trap mosquitos, perhaps you can buy something of this in a hardware shop. But I dont know if you have mosquitos in your city :)

Best regards, and happy 2009.

Ariel

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ariel
Looked at your handy work and very nice thread, could you post a current picture of what it looks like now.
Thank You
Karen

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, Karen

look this is a small "wall" of 10cm2 with flame moss and a couple of narrow ferns, there you have different views..

Then I have a big wall of about 25x25 cms but it is almost impossible to see it because I have some giants ferns...

This wall has the classic java moss and windelow ferns.

Best regards and happy new year

Ariel

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like the look!!!
I can see where a small "wall" would work great in areas of a tank that just need filling.
The Fern and Moss together is a nice touch.
Will have to work on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts