Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to start my first planted tank with miracle-gro organic potting mix, and interested in implementing the mineralization (MTS) approach. I read through multiple threads and websites on MTS and have a few doubts. Can someone please help identifying if the following products can be used in the mineralization process? I am fairly certain that I can use the clay and the dolomite I found because of some hints given on this thread: https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com...956-info-red-clay-mineralized-substrates.html.
  • Clay: red-art clay from a local ceramic shop with the chemical composition as mentioned in the attached image
  • Dolomite: either "dolowhite" or "dolocron" from the same local ceramic shop with their chemical compositions as mentioned in the attached images
  • Muriate of potash: I found a potash product also in the same ceramic shop but I am not sure if I can use it because it has very low potassium content (refer to the attached image). As an alternative, I am able to find "hi-yield muriate of potash" with N-P-K values as 0-0-60 in a local store for less than 10 USD. Will any of these products work for the mineralization?
Thank you :)! Please feel free to provide additional suggestions as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Welcome to APC!

The mineralizing process is just for the soil. You don't need to add the clay, etc. until the soil is ready to put in the tank. I don't see any problem with any of the products you mentioned. You can also use potassium chloride, which is sold as a salt substitute, for potassium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, @hoppycalif :)!

That sounds good! I can definitely save some money by buying those products. I will also check the potassium chloride option since it sounds like I can use the remaining product as a cooking salt ;).

And yes, the mineralization process is just for the soil. I should have explained it better in my original post.

Another query please: if I understand correctly, skipping the step of wet/dry/wet/dry of potting mix will still work, right? I mean, can I simply screen the potting mix to remove larger particles, make it wet for a single night, and then use it directly in the tank along with clay, dolomite, and potash, and wait for a few weeks for the cycle to happen itself? Will this approach still provide necessary macro/micro nutrients for the plants and avoid usage of external fertilizers for a few months?

I am not sure if I can perform the wet/dry/wet/dry step given my living arrangement. Hence, my above query :).

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Diana Walstad's El Natural method does include not mineralizing the substrate, so, yes you can do that. I suggest that you read her book first, just so you understand how her method works. I haven't tried it yet, so I can't answer any question about it, but there is a forum here just for that type of tank set-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts