Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if this project is going to be very much to the spirit of the APC, since the tank is going to contain brackish water. I will do experiments with plants, but remains to be seen whether I can grow anything in there.

Anyhow.

The tank is an old Aquastabil 530 l /140 gal tank that I used for a sump in a large brackish tank.

It is not the prettiest flower of the meadow, and I decided to replace the old scratchy front glass with a brand new glass. The end glasses are in between the long sides, so I had to take the ends off first. Taking it apart was easier than I imagined, cutting the silicone with very thin knives.

I finished the basic hardscape for this tank earlier, here's a couple of shots:

Fitting it in the tank, looks promising:

I ordered the new glass and decided to paint the rear glass, stand and frames of the tank while I wait for it to be delivered. Very easy to paint while most of the glasses are off...

Will continue with the journal as soon as there's progress.
Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Wow, I have a feeling that it will turn out fantastic. Keep it up! :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Very interesting, especially with the brackish water plan. I can think of a few plants that would tolerate some salts, but none that would be used in an aquarium. I look forward to seeing this scape develop.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your incentive words.

Very interesting, especially with the brackish water plan. I can think of a few plants that would tolerate some salts, but none that would be used in an aquarium. I look forward to seeing this scape develop.
Here's a list of plants that Tropica says can tolerate salt to a degree:

(Go to advanced search, put "accepts brachish water" under "keywords" and you get this list)

Aponogeton crispus
Bacopa monnieri
Cladophora aegagrophila
Crinum calamistratum
Crinum natans
Crinum thaianum
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Microsorum pteropus 'Narrow'
Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri)
Samolus valerandi
Taxiphyllum barbieri (Vesicularia)

I have tried some of those before, with lousy results. But the tank I have tried them in fluctuates from 1.006 to 1.012 salinity. In this paludarium and with mudskippers I think I can keep it considerably lower, at 1.002-1.005 or so.

Live mangrove would be a good one to try, too.

Which non-aquarium plants do you have in mind?

what did you use to make the drift wood? mainly the roots that stick out toward the front.
It's made out of polystyrene sheets, polyurethane foam, pvc-pipes bent with heat, hot glue, vinyl string and grout.

Thanks again for nice words.
I'm looking forward to putting this one up too. It will take a few weeks for the cement to cure, so I have a lot of time to figure out whether I make any kind of tidal system or wavemakers on it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thanks everyone for your incentive words.

Which non-aquarium plants do you have in mind?

I was just pondering on some of the coastal species, but I doubt any would be appropriate or sightly. Certain Spartina sps, the vaious this-and-that "worts" (dillwort, glasswort, just imagining what I see in salty areas along the gulf coast), oxeye, and so on. I generally think along the lines of grass species since I am ag-based by trade, and most of what pops into mind are very large specimens, or very unsightly.

But with your lower salintiy levels I would think some of the plants you mentioned earlier would be pretty solid candidates. I was thinking along the lines of more saline than the numbers you're aiming at. This will be very interesting to watch develop. I am interested in particular in how the Crypt sps, Crinum sps, and Nyphae do in such a set up.

Do you plan on using the ones you listed?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you need to do a DIY thread on your root formation that you made.
Agreed! That's one of the best DIY driftwood pieces i've seen!
I'll see what I can do about it. There's a "Woodwork"-thread in DIY section. I'll see what I can come up with in that thread.
Thanks for your words, a_c.

I was just pondering on some of the coastal species, but I doubt any would be appropriate or sightly. Certain Spartina sps, the vaious this-and-that "worts" (dillwort, glasswort, just imagining what I see in salty areas along the gulf coast), oxeye, and so on. I generally think along the lines of grass species since I am ag-based by trade, and most of what pops into mind are very large specimens, or very unsightly.

But with your lower salintiy levels I would think some of the plants you mentioned earlier would be pretty solid candidates. I was thinking along the lines of more saline than the numbers you're aiming at. This will be very interesting to watch develop. I am interested in particular in how the Crypt sps, Crinum sps, and Nyphae do in such a set up.

Do you plan on using the ones you listed?
Crypts would be perfect for this tank, the water depth is going to be only 20 cm or so. Crinums are a bit largish, but if they woul grow emersed, then they would work great.

I'm going to be able to locate most of the plants listed and will propably try out almost everything I get my hands on.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have not had good luck with aquarium plants in a 1.004 brackish tank. With a VERY long, slow acclimation I had some Java Fern sort of just sit there and die rather slowly, but everything else has died faster.

Mangrove did not really grow well, but I think the light was too low. I understand it really does do OK in a brackish tank, but is a large shrub to small tree.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for your comment, Diana.
A long, slow acclimation is, to my understanding, even more important for plants than fish.

I have tried several plants in brackish before as well, with lousy success.
Out of the 10 red mangrove pods I got only four are alive in a 250 gal brackish tank (after 2 years) . But I know I have srewed it up myself by not letting them settle in one place from the beginning. At least the word is that they do not tolerate moving their roots.

At first I tried to keep the mangroves with their roots freely in water.

The roots an sich are not that sightly when they grow:

They never reached the 2' water depht to the bottom.

Later I made an elevated "pot" for them, loaded it with plant growing subtrate and they partly settled. Not too much growth, still.
And they are under 150w HQI's.

I might still try and find a way to fit some of them in this tank, propably letting them grow out of the top to receive natural sunlight. I don't know if they will grow in dryish room air, though.

Anyone with any thoughts on plants in brackish, please do chime in!

Meanwhile, I got the new glass.
Here's the tank now, frames, rear glass and stand painted semi-matt black. Left end glass cut to fit a bit of ventilation to fiddle with the potential front glass condensation:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks. I like the ambiance in the first pic as well.

I had a vision of how to build the tank, but never got around to pull it through all the way. So I don't have any good pics of it. But if you promise you won't tell anyone, I can give you a link to an album containing a few (lousy) pics of it, mostly at early stages...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Humble thanks, wet. When I grow up, I will try to learn to take as good photos and care for plants as impeccably as you do.

Meanwhile, back to realities.
I glued the piece in and continue with curing the cement. Threw on an underpowered pump to see how my inbuilt plumbing works...LO AND BEHOLD!

Every single one of the 12 separate "reservoirs" filled up with water!

Water nicely flowing over the roots to the next level...

I'm a bit excited.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.