Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone, I've been lurking here for a while, now, and took the plunge into "El Natural" in a fairly big way... I converted both of my 55 gal and my 35 gal into one combined system! An issue that I'm finding after a couple of weeks is that my Ph is staying abysmaly high, and my hardness is through the roof! Here's the tap and tank numbers:
Tank Tap
GH 30 18
KH 11 7
Ph 7.7 7.9

The soil was just el cheapo stuff from Home Depot, aired out for a day of hot AZ sun... I added in approx 1 cup of crushed corral and shells that used to be in a salt water tank to each 55, about half a cup in the 35... I have been adding acid every day, dropping Ph by approx .1 every day, trying to get in to the guppy/platy/molly comfort zone, but the hardness levels kinda scare me... is this acceptable, Or should I be looking for some softer water to do a partial? (I'm doing %10 changed every day to cut back on the tannin coloration)

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
855 Posts
If your tap water is already hard and alkaline, why did you add coral, etc., to make it harder?

It might be a good time to start over and learn to live with your tap water. It isn't that bad.

Good luck!

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a horrible, sneaking suspicion that that was going to be the answer... I didn't have the hardness tests til today, so had no idea our water was that hard... Now, to convince the wife that it will be easier to do this now rather than wait a month for the fish and plants to be dead...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agreed that guppies, mollies and platies should be fine. Many of those fish are raised on concrete tanks, and are used to very hard, high pH water. One cup of crushed coral in a 55 gallon tank won't have a huge effect, unless you are melting it by adding acid. ;-) You will have more problems trying to change it with acid than if you just leave it like it is. For most fish, the stability of the pH and hardness is more important than the numbers. If you don't have ammonia or nitrite problems, try adding a few fish and see how they like it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol, so, i've now drained on of the 55s, and just remembered, the acrylic 55 does NOT have coral in the mix... perhaps i'll just leave the sum as is, bu complete redoing the glass 55... THIS is what I get for not being patient! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts