Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With many of you growing Crypts emersed, have you tried pollination?

All it takes is patience and a good paint brush.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Not yet, but I'm getting some good plugs in tomorrow, hopefully I'll get some flowers out of them in short order. It's on the top of my "to do" list for sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, I have tried it, and i am taking some photos of the fruit as soon as i can find my camera to put on this forum for you to enjoy.

//Svante

·
Registered
302 Posts
i can't wait to see the pics =) a pictures worth a thousand words and I've learned so much about plantedtanks just from looking at people's setups

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks! =)

Ooops, i have forgotten all about the pics, I shall see what i can do about it. I have to take som pictures of my flowering C. usteriana anyways ... :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

Download this nifty free program. it will let youresize and save as other file formates of different quality (file size)

File--> Open
Image-->resize (adjust so the maximum width is 700 or the hight is 500)
Save as-->jpg (a window will pop up letting you select the level of quality. try default and if the image file is over 100k, then resave as a lower quality)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

Now i can upload the pics, or at least i should be able too.

I'm sory for the poor quality of the picture, i am not a good photografer, and the fruit was in the very rear of the tank, making it almost impossible to take a good picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
yo man, all i see are your fingers...could you take another picture please?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know it wasn't the best picture ever taken, but the fruit is there. Just look after it and you'll find it. It has the same collor as the dirt it is planted in though.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Svante,

Most of the time, if a plant produces fruits that means they've been fertilized. Fruits are the mature ovary of a plant. You're going to be a daddy! :)

Congratulations Svante, that's great work,
Phil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Pollination is fairly simple when dealing with such large platns as C. cordata, just stuck a paintbrush inside the tube and moved it around a little bit, this I did with two plants, the result was this fruit, and one other on the other plant, that died because i had to move the plants to their new home.

I think that for the smaller Crypt species you should probably be more gentle, taking a very thin stick, coating it with cotton will do just fine.

If you have the possibility to do this, then do it, as it is rather exciting to see the fruit develop, and perhaps you can even get you some seeds if you are in luck :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is so much easier with Lace plants, I just take two of the flowers and rub them together. Voila, seeds and then seedlings, galore. This will be a fun new enterprise, assuming I can get the plants to grow emmersed.

Let me toss out a preemptive "get your minds out of the gutter". :wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hubbahubbahehe wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so one flower can fertilize itself ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if it produves fertilized fruits, but it does produce fruits, which are probably fertile i guess. It isn't fully ripe yet so i can't tell if there are actually seeds inside.

·
Registered
302 Posts
wow that is so exciting! Do let us know when you get seeds!

Was there a book that you read regarding this stuff?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts