Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some bba and dust algae going on.
I've heard BBA is from high light or excess nutrients... in my case most likely both (this is on my 65), so I lowered the light now to only 2 bulbs on. There is BBA everywhere, on the substrate, plants, literally all over. I dosed today 30ml of flourish excel because I heard that would help so I'm waiting on that to work, dosed it this morning.
So I need things to be at least CLOSE to "stable" while I'm gone for my 2 week vacation. What should I do to prevent even more algae growth while I'm gone? its covered all the plants and ill be surprised if many plants live whilst I'm gone.

Need advice before Friday when I leave! (2 days)

Reactions: rustyrhodes

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got some bba and dust algae going on.
I've heard BBA is from high light or excess nutrients... in my case most likely both (this is on my 65), so I lowered the light now to only 2 bulbs on. There is BBA everywhere, on the substrate, plants, literally all over. I dosed today 30ml of flourish excel because I heard that would help so I'm waiting on that to work, dosed it this morning.
So I need things to be at least CLOSE to "stable" while I'm gone for my 2 week vacation. What should I do to prevent even more algae growth while I'm gone? its covered all the plants and ill be surprised if many plants live whilst I'm gone.

Need advice before Friday when I leave! (2 days)
Stable consistent CO2 is needed to eliminate the BBA.
What is your pH drop?

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so long update to this:
to kill bba i simply overdosed a bit with excel and it died miserably

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Now, you need to correct the problem(s) that caused the BBA outbreak. One of the usual suspects is a lack of having the same amount of CO2 in the water every time the lights are on. Another, is having too much light, or too little CO2 to match how much light you have. And, a third is not keeping control over any organic debris build-up.

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dont have the bba problem or algae issue anymore. That was a while ago, gone now.
Most likely was your last listed choice, think the WC's helped it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Look up "one two punch" for BBA. It involves H2O2 and Excel. More than can go into here but there is lots of info on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used this method on my 120 and it cleared out some algae but not all mainly due to the lack of flow. Make sure to add extra power heads in order to aid in proper dispersion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.