Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This tank is intended to be my Red Cherry Shrimp Colony. It's not setup yet...and I doubt it will be for a while....but I want to journal the process of setting it up and *MAYBE* help others who want to do the same thing. So...here's my current list:
20x12" Glass Lid
18" Strip Light
NEW 10G w\Painted Background(I have to do that)
Rena xP1 Canister Filter
Eco-Complete
Madel Live Meter(Ammonia and pH are VERY important to watch as shrimp are really delicate to those things)
Plants
New Stand
Red Cherry Shrimp(10)
6 Pygmy Cories
Rocks (I might do Iwagumi)
DIY Co2 w\ glass diffuser
etc....That's it for now I think. I'll be updating regularly and showing progress in the process. ;)

It might take a while though...so you might need: :popcorn: LOL!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I painted the background on my 10 gallon tank and regretted it. Now for 29G tank I have black fabric taped onto thin plexi glass and taped to the back of the tank. The cost was under $5 for the plastic I found. Using fabric I think is best for you can buy some for a few dollars and can easily change it.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I think that's a neat idea Dawntwister. I've also heard of people using black poster board. What I like about those ideas is that they are not glossy so they resemble shadows better. You guys are so creative! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found two rocks the other day...and they are VERY pretty. They are inert and have been throughly cleaned. I want to find one more then the hardscape will be complete. Then onto buying and painting the tank. Oh, I've decided to buy a Penguin 100B for this tank rather than the canister because I don't want to "blow the shrimp out of the water".

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think once you put on a prefilter on a canister the flow will slow down enough. good luck with the project i will be following your progress.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had a similar problem with a HOB filter in my 10 gallon tank. The flow kicked up holes in my sand. I put some plastic over the outflow and it slowed down. The plastic was from a water bottle. Cut the ends off and cut in half. Then taped the sticky area, long ways, onto the top of the HOB filter.

Have read that testing items with vinegar will tell you if the item is safe for the aquarium. If it fizzes it has lime which is not usually safe for the tank, for it rises the ph.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I had a similar problem with a HOB filter in my 10 gallon tank. The flow kicked up holes in my sand. I put some plastic over the outflow and it slowed down. The plastic was from a water bottle. Cut the ends off and cut in half. Then taped the sticky area, long ways, onto the top of the HOB filter.

Have read that testing items with vinegar will tell you if the item is safe for the aquarium. If it fizzes it has lime which is not usually safe for the tank, for it rises the ph.
How about an update?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This project has been put on hold for right now...I think after my betta dies, his 5gal will go for shrimp and micro rasboras.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i think if you want to set up a shrimp tank a 20 gallon would be the best because it provides more stable water parameters. Im sure cherries will do fine in a 5 gallon but when you want to move on to more sensitive species you could just use the same tank if you get a 20 gallon. If i had enough room in my house i would toss my 5 gallon and get a 20 for my CRS for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts