Aquatic Plant Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here is the monthly update. I will discuss a few changes to my fertilizaton regime and further evolution of the tank.

For this next series of pictures, i started to use my Canon Powershot SD880IS. I had previously been using the Nikon 5700. The Canon does not have full manual settings, so i used the "Aquarium Setting" which turns off the flash and automatically increases the ISO sensitivity to permit 1/60-1/80 sec exposure. For the full tank views and because of the bright T5 lights, i used EV = -1 to make the pictures darker. No post exposure corrections were used. Aside from the annoying horizontal white line in the middle of the picture on the right side(because i am too lazy to shut off the tank lights on the opposite wall), the camera seems to take decent pics. This camera cost me $240 in April of 09. I bought it for vacation pictures and didnt even consider aquarium application. It is not as expensive as many cameras aquarists tend to use.

The changes from late Nov thru early Jan were as follows:
I inserted Jobes sticks on 3 separate occasions, started to increase amount water column nutrients (every few days) with enriched the N content and added a few "lucens" in the rt center immediated to the left of my C. undulata - duploid and also removed most of the L. meeboldi. I got the "lucens from a trade with Dana who purchased the crypt with that name tag. I was looking for the x. willissi hybrid which has taller leaves than the one i had, and so far this plant is smaller but has nice bronze colored leaves.

Nov 27
The first stick of jobes spike (13-4-5) was cut in thirds and added near the narrow Rubin sword and between parva and thin nevilli type plant in center. On Dec 3, I added the lucens.

At the end of the month (12-27), there was not a noticeable change in the vicinity of the jobes. The picture documents the general appearance of the tank. One point worth noting is the shrinkage of the C. tonkinensis (middle left). The leaves have maintained the nice red color, but their lenght has diminished. I am not sure if new growth has come yet. This day, I inserted another Jobes stick near the rubin.

Jan 1, 2010 The meeboldi is a beautiful plant but it now looked out of proportion in my aquascape. I decided to cut the rhizome and move the majority of the plant to another tank. I used a single edge razor blade.

It did not require much effort or make a mess when it easily came loose from the aqua soil.

Jan 3, 2010 I added 1.5 jobes stick near mioya crypts. During the next week, I started to notice improved growth of narrow leaf rubin. Perhaps you can spot the progress of change in the pictures.

Jan 9, 2010: The rubin is now coming into its own. Probably mostly from the enhanced substrate nutrition provided over the past month, but also from additional light after the meeboldi was removed. Keep in mind, that this rubin had been in the tank since the beginning. I also finally trimmed the droppy leaf of the C. crispatula on the left side :)

Here is a closeup of narrow leaf rubin on the same day. You can see the nice short narrow red leaves compared to the older chlorotic ones.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
neil what a change!! u made the right call removing the plant as it was just to big and an odd proportion for the whole tank as it has evolved.

im just so envious of those rams. i have one male that i just love and i want to get a group of them for my next tank.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Looks like the extra nutrition was what you needed. I use complete root tabs for all my heavy root feeders. I've really noticed that it makes a big difference. My ADA AS is over a year old. It still has a nice consistency and is not compacted.

I love your C. parva foreground. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This will be short update.

Because i was getting good local response to the narrow leaf rubin with Jobes sticks which i added last year, i doubled water column nutrients during the past month (both more macros and micros). For example, weekly KNO3 and KH2PO4 went from 1.5tsp and 0.5t to 3.5tsp and 1.5t. Then last week, i started daily dosing dividing weekly total by 7. I also have been adding 1/12t of 10% FeDPTA and 15ml TMG per day.

March 6, 2010. Here is the tank yesterday.
Most plants are generally slow growing, so there was not a very noticeable change in plant volume... except for the rubin and meeboldi discussed below. There has been more pearling, and the Crypt MiOya (on the right) seem to now look denser.

March 7, 2010. The ferns along the back were blocking too much light, so today the tank got a major trim.

Over the past 2 months, the rubin put out a lot of new leaves and the meeboldi put out new growth now moving towards the back.

Notice the color pattern in the outer rubin leaves. Do you think it is showing a deficiency among the mobile macro nutrients, or is that the normal coloration? Compared to the picture from Jan 9 it looks chlorotic to me. Otherwise, this is a really neat medium size plant with height staying under 6 in (15cm).

·
Registered
145 Posts
One of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. I have 120g newly set up, I can only dream. Tell us about WC's, how much and how often?

·
Registered
193 Posts
nfrank, the tank looks fantastic! The growth is amazing and lush. I just planted my new arrivals from your tank tonight and what a difference they made! I have a lot of shady spots now for the fish. I was happy to notice small bits of java moss stuck around some of the rhizomes :)
I've been meaning to try it out.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
One of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. I have 120g newly set up, I can only dream. Tell us about WC's, how much and how often?
Thanks for the compliments. I do 50% water change each week.

You can learn about what i do by reading the thred. I have only changed a few maintenance procedures since the tank was set up in Nov 2008.

Starting today, i increased the CO2 level a little and am also temporarily dosing "excel" (as 12ml of 2.5% glutaraldehyde) to see if that will change the outer leaves of he rubin.

I also have just installed new Giesmann bulbs (after 17months). I ordered from AquariumSpecialty yesterday, and they arrived this morning! Regular UPS shipping, free for orders over $175. It was good that they are so close (SC).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I do 50% water change each week.

You can learn about what i do by reading the thred. I have only changed a few maintenance procedures since the tank was set up in Nov 2008.

Starting today, i increased the CO2 level a little and am also temporarily dosing "excel" (as 12ml of 2.5% glutaraldehyde) to see if that will change the outer leaves of he rubin.

I also have just installed new Giesmann bulbs (after 17months). I ordered from AquariumSpecialty yesterday, and they arrived this morning! Regular UPS shipping, free for orders over $175. It was good that they are so close (SC).
Sorry, I did read the entire thread, late last night, musta missed the WC part. :icon_frow

21 - 34 of 34 Posts